Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Sue

I wanted to know if you would be able to check if Frederick William Smith sailed to from England to South Africa between 1861 and 1881. Do you have any idea on how I can find census records in SA during 1881?

Kind Regards
    Renold

Quote Originally Posted by LetchmaR View Post
    Hi Sue

I wanted to know if you would be able to check if Frederick William Smith sailed to from England to South Africa between 1861 and 1881. Do you have any idea on how I can find census records in SA during 1881?

Kind Regards
    Renold
    Sadly the only way for this period is through surviving passenger lists (mainly to Natal) or from newspaper reports. There are no census records for SA. You might like to have a look at
    https://www.
    eggsa.org/arrivals/eGGSA%20Passenger%20Project.html
    and keep checking from time to time, as more transcriptions are being added regularly.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Sue

I did a search on eggsa and there are only two results that come up for FWS the most likely one I copied below, but his age is wrong he should be two years.

SMITH, Frederick
    Sex: M
    Passage money: £5
    Surety details: Smith, Jesse, Chapel St. PmBurg
    Port of arrival: Durban, Natal
    Arrived 02 June 1862 aboard the Nipisiquit
    Source: NAB Pietermaritzburg Archives, Land and Immigration Board, Natal,
    ****Register of Immigrants Arrived, Vol 65, page 42
    transcribed by: John Deare, from photographs taken by John Deare.

'ind regards
    Renold

Trixie-Bell

Check ancestry24.com - they have thousands of passenger records for that period.
    regards
    Trixie
    Last edited by Jan1954; 19-11-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Links to Ancestry removed - please read the Terms of Service.

flimflam

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    The only HARMAN listed is Charles HARMAN (25) carpenter and Emma (sic) HARMAN (27) from Oxford, who sailed on the Aurifera, dep Liverpool 25 Apr 1858 and arr Port Elizabeth 6 July. The Aurifera was built for the rice trade but was fittd for emigrant transport just before sailing, with emigrants mainly from Kent, Oxfordshire and London.
    Could you help me find my ancestors Charles James & Elizabeth Jane James and their 4 children Charles, Joseph, Alfred & Walter who immigrated from Middlesex, London to South Africa (Cape of Good Hope) in 1859-1860 any help would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by flimflam View Post
    Could you help me find my ancestors Charles James & Elizabeth Jane James and their 4 children Charles, Joseph, Alfred & Walter who immigrated from Middlesex, London to South Africa (Cape of Good Hope) in 1859-1860 any help would be much appreciated
    Sorry, can't see them listed. They could, of course, have emigrated privately, in which case your best bet is newspapers. The eggsa.org site has some newspaper transcriptions but the sit is currently down for maintenance.
    Sue Mackay

flimflam

Thanks so much for your help, they arrived in New Zealand from The Cape in 1864 on the Maori, but I believe were 3 or 4 years in The Cape prior. There was a daughter Elizabeth born there I believe. Will keep trying though....

annatyrrell

Hi Sue,

I was hoping you might be able to help me trace an ancestor who we're having a bit of trouble with!? We know that her name was Annie Tyrrell and that she, presumably with family, sailed from England to South Africa sometime between 1853 and 1874. We know this because Annie was born in London in 1853 and was married to Arthur William Beck in Bloemfontein in 1874.

Any chance you can help?

Thank you!

flimflam

thanks for your help Trixie, unfortunately ancestry24 still seems to be shut down for some reason. Will keep trying tho

I can only see one Tyrrell listed. Catherine Tyrrell, a cook travelling from Middlesex, aged 26, sailed on the India Queen, dep Liverpool 20 May 1858 and arr Port Elizabeth 23 July.

Quote Originally Posted by annatyrrell View Post
    Hi Sue,

I was hoping you might be able to help me trace an ancestor who we're having a bit of trouble with!? We know that her name was Annie Tyrrell and that she, presumably with family, sailed from England to South Africa sometime between 1853 and 1874. We know this because Annie was born in London in 1853 and was married to Arthur William Beck in Bloemfontein in 1874.

Any chance you can help?

Thank you!
    Sue Mackay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast