Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    fedup

I am an only child born 1957, and my mother was 43 when she had me, so it certainly did happen! Would be interested to hear from you with the names of the Matthams adoptive parents on Betty. That would help me link her into my tree, and it also explains why I couldn't find a birth registration for her under Matthams.

Thanks for all your help on this.

marie b

their names are Walter J Matthams and Lilian M Gipson. i havent been able to find eithers birth documents, only their marriage certificate. they had 3 children all together with my grandmother included, John Matthams b. 1919 and Douglas W Matthams b.1924
    Last edited by marie b; 28-03-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: adding more information

fedup

Ahh, thank you Marie, I have now been able to place her in my tree. I have no details for Lilian Gipson other than her marriage, but Walter J Matthams was born c1888 Boreham Essex. In 1911 he was living at Station Cottages, Ongar Essex, a boarder with the Cracknell family, single, an acting fireman on the Great Eastern Railways. His parents were Walter John Matthams born 28 Aug 1865 at Little Waltham and baptised there at the Congregational Church 12 Nov 1865, and Ellen Digby born c1869 Gt Leighs Essex, but I expect you already have that info?

Do you have a birth year for Betty please?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Would this suit?

Births Sep 1892 Gipson Lilian May Depwade 4b 238

FreeBmd
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

marie b

Betty's birthday was 16th February 1918. we have very little history on our family as Betty never really spoke about her younger life and we only found out about her adoption when she died. thank you for your help also, it has given me a few other keys now to go further!

fedup

Thanks for Betty's birth date. I wonder why Walter and Lilian adopted when they'd only been married a couple of years. Do you think that there could have been a family connection? I'm wondering whether a Matthams or a Gipson had a baby out of wedlock that they couldn't look after and Lilian and Walter stepped in to adopt her.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I'm wondering whether a Matthams or a Gipson had a baby out of wedlock that they couldn't look after and Lilian and Walter stepped in to adopt her.
    Why not? happens often enough even today. Maybe why Betty didn't speak a lot of her beginnings. Not told or hushed up because 'not proper'?

How lucky we are now to live in a world not so tight bound by "moral"? aspects.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

marie b

the rumour that my dad knew of afterwards from her adoptive siblings is that Lilian was a housekeeper in an estate and that Betty was the result of a maid getting pregnant. whether this is true or not i do not know, but Lilian took her on nevertheless. if it is true, this may explain why it was kept quiet... who knows!

marie b

i have found more on Lilian Gipson, she was born 26 june 1892 in Diss, Norfolk, her parents are Charles William Gipson 1874 - 1947 and Mary Ann Last 1871 - 1947... i hope this helps too!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12