Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

I also don't see a joke,( no need to enlighten me) A maypole as I saw it in my tender years was danced around while ribbons entwined .A rather warm & enfolding feeling I would have thought (now, in later years).. the rest escapes me perhaps due to aging?

I do remember a train trip into the city to see the Royal lot, we were given a mug & a flag. on arrival a wee carton of milk & a position waaaay back where only HIMSELF could have seen the Royal folk in their car.A hot day & beware anyone who needed 'to go"! while lined up.

Hey it was a day away from school & home environs.Gotta wonder why tho'.
    Filled the arena I guess.
    Still love train travel.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

DorothySandra

Daleaway: it looks as though the RHS was set up specifically to give you an opportunity to wear your Coronation Brooch! Do they have a branch in Hampshire? But I digress: I'd forgotten the mugs - we were all given one at the party, and drank lemonade from them, and were stunned to be told that we could keep them.

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    I do remember a train trip into the city to see the Royal lot, we were given a mug & a flag. on arrival a wee carton of milk & a position waaaay back where only HIMSELF could have seen the Royal folk in their car.A hot day & beware anyone who needed 'to go"! while lined up.
    It rained in England on the day of the Coronation, I can remember that..........also Richard Dimbleby's hushed voice as he commentated on the ceremony. First time the old beeb had televised such a solemn event, I think that the powers that be weren't happy about the intrusion of cameras..........still got my coronation spoon, used it for years as my sugar spoon.........never got a mug, I was jealous of those who did! Bought one in a junk shop a few years ago to make up my deprivation as child!

Anne

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

I was still living in Nairobi at the time of the Coronation. The school which I attended, Parklands, had been preparing for the celebrations including some Maypole dancing.
    Unfortunately about a week before the big event I was taken into hospital with Rheumatic Fever and missed all the excitement.
    I cannot remember having anything special like a mug or a spoon, but all children of RAF/Air Ministry personnel had a commemorative scroll which I believe I still have, hidden away somewhere in the attic.

radstockjeff

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Anne, don't feel jealous of those who received a mug. I always felt guilt over mine as I'm sure Mum had to pay for it. The flag may have been free, Never knew how Mum found the extra pence to buy the mugs for Brother & myself as well as the train fare.

Later I was given ( probably a birthday pressy) the coronation plastic coach & Horses as DorothySandra has mentioned. Loved it but rarely moved it from the window sill where it lived safely out of harms way.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

mykin

There was piece on our news a couple of weeks ago and they were talking about people buying "tacky" souvenirs of the Queen's jubilee.This included just about everything. I was thinking that I would like a teapot or something like that to commemerate this great occasion. Now I feel tacky but haven't bought anything yet. What is all of your opinions on this.I don't want junk made in China as it should be made in England, if there any such thing anymore.
    Were they just snobs?

DorothySandra

There are some quality souvenirs made by the UK porcelain people. There is much discontent in the UK about souvenirs of the Jubilee - and the London Olympics! - being made in China. Part of it is the absurdity, but mostly it's the fact that the employers, exporters, importers and retailers all make more money than the people who actually make the stuff.

Sorry, DorothySandra, I missed your previous message.
    Yes there are over 100 Red Hat groups in the UK and I found a website for the one in Fareham, Hampshire.
    https://www.farehamscarletfedoras.moonfruit.com/#
    It has a contact form, so they could doubtless tell you if there is a group near where you live.
    Good luck!

Dale in New Zealand

aplender

Hello I am 1st generation USA born my parents came from the Village Of Washington. I remember so well the Queens cornation we all watched on the TV as one shot at a time came through. My mom said "There is a lovely Lass and will make a great Queen/" and she has. There was just the 3 of celebrating this event but it was an event in my life I won't forgot......aplender

junedye64

I remember enjoying our street party on Coronation day.

We had races (I came 3rd in one of them)

I was involved in the Punch & Judy show ( I was the crocodile)

We had Fancy Dress. I was dressed as the Blue Cross Match Girl. My Mum had written to Blue Cross Matches and they sent a variety of sizes of boxes that were a replica of a match box. One was big enough to cover my body. Two smaller ones were on my arms. One on my head. I think I got 3rd prize.

It rained when it was time for tea so we all crammed into about three houses to eat our food.
    The usual Sandwiches cake & jelly & icecream.
    We all got a mug but I don't know what happened to it.
    Happy days.

June

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast