lawsue

Default Joseph Elliott and Dorothy Wardle

I find that I have to bother you all again with another question on the Elliott family. You did such a great job for me yesterday(William Peel and Ellen Elliott) that I thought I would try this one.
    Joseph Elliott, son of Thomas Elliott and Ann Cutts, married Dorothy Wardle sometime around 1829. First child was born that year, Samuel. Others were Mary 1831, William 1834, Eliza 1836, Thomas 1838, Ellen 1841 (she's ours, mentiond above) Ann 1844, Harriet 1847, and Sarah 1850. However Joseph appears to have died 18th June 1841, according to IGI, but the last 3 children are listed as his, after his death, (again on IGI). So did he really die then. If so then who is the father of the last 3 children. If they are his then when did he die? There is lots of info out there on this Elliott dynasty, but unfortunately, not our line.
    Again I appreciate your time and input.
    Thanks, Sue

janbooth

1841 census of St Mary Nottingham
    HO107/870/4, folio 8, page 10
    Surrey Court

Joseph ELLIOT 31 FWK
    Dorothy do 31 Lace Runner
    Samuel do 12
    Mary do 10
    William do 8
    Eliza do 5
    Thomas do 3
    Ellen do 1 month

All born in Notts except Dorothy.

1851 census of Nottingham St Mary
    HO107/2132, folio 371, page 28
    23 Rumford St

Dorothy ELLIOT Head Widow 44 Sempstress Derbyshire Codnor
    Samuel do Son U 20 Frame Work Knitter Nottingham
    Mary do Daur U 19 Lace Dresser do
    William do Son U 17 Winder do
    Eliza do Daur 15 Lace Dresser do
    Thomas do Son 12 Winder do
    Ellen do Daur 10 Scholar do
    Ann do Daur 7 do do
    Harriet do Daur 4 do do
    Sarah Anne do Daur 1 month do

Janet

janbooth

Default Joseph & Dorothy ELLIOT

Further to the above, it looks as though the children were baptised as follows (source Notts FHS Baptismal Index):

22 June 1829 at Nottingham St Mary Samuel ELLIOTT son of Joseph & Dorothy, St Ann's St, FWK
    13 November 1831 at Nottingham St Mary Mary ELLIOTT daughter of Joseph & Dorothy, Mansfield Rd, FWK
    23 February 1834 at Nottingham St Mary William ELLIOTT son of Joseph & Dorothy, St Ann's St, FWK
    15 May 1836 at Nottingham St Mary Eliza daughter of Joseph & Dorothy, St Ann's St, FWK
    30 July 1838 at Nottingham St Mary Thomas ELLIOTT son of Joseph & Dorothy, Brunswick Street, FWK

Then what appears to be a block baptism of the following children all at Nottingham St Paul on 25 August 1845:

Samuel ELLIOTT son of Joseph & Dorothy, Tyler Street, FWK
    William ELLIOTT do do do do
    Mary ELLIOTT daughter do do do do
    Eliza ELLIOTT do do do do do
    Thomas ELLIOTT son do do do do
    Ellen ELLIOTT daughter do do do do
    Ann ELLIOTT do do do do do

Strange! I can't find Joseph on the Burial Index which would help, but it is by no means complete. There are 2 death registrations for a Joseph ELLIOTT between 1841 & 1851 - the one in June qtr 1841 and there is another in the March qtr 1848 which might fit in better with the children shown in the 1851 census, except for Sarah Anne. Although looking again at the 1851 census, her age could be 10 months not 1 month.

The 1861 census shows Dorothy, who has suddenly become Mary, ELLIOTT living at 4 Lees Yard, shown as a widowed Nurse, together with children Ann, Harriet & Sarah.

HTH

Janet

lawsue

Thanks for that.
    It looks as though whoever found that info on Joseph in the first place had the Joseph Elliott ie dying in 1841 as opposed to 1848. So I will go with the 1848 date, and keep all the kids his. Although Sarah is a bit of a concern still. Maybe Mum had a bit of a fling.
    The Elliotts are such a fascinating family.They are scattered all over the place. South Africa as FWK immigrants, Australia as Laceworker Immigrants and USA and Canada as Mormon converts, some of them coming to Australia before conversion and then moving on to Utah.
    Great job Janet. Thanks again
    Sue

lawsue

Thinking of the above......and checked again, Sarah is listed on LDS as 12th Oct.1850. Parents Joseph Elliott and Dorothy Wardle. If Joseph's died March qtr 1848, then the paternity of Sarah is very much in question still. Unless neither is our Joseph Elliott, as you said, that the records are not complete. So maybe I wll have to be content with not knowing his death date. Now that I know where Dorothy was born, I may be able to better trace her parentage..Also Dorothy's occupation was that of a sempstress...never heard the word before but I have an Imperial Dictionary that was printed in 1859 and there it was, "a woman who lives by needle work". So you learn something every day.
    Sue

janbooth

Hi again Sue,

Looking once more at the GRO death registrations and bearing in mind Sarah Anne's dob, there is the death registration of a Flavius Josephus ELLIOTT in the June qtr 1849 at Nottingham. However, this still doesn't mean he was the father of Sarah Anne as her birth registration was in the December qtr 1850 - unless it was an extremely long pregnancy! He may have died elsewhere of course, but there does not seem to be a likely candidate. The actual parish register entry for her baptism might be interesting and could perhaps give a clue as to her father. Also looking at the actual burial register of St Mary could reveal an extra burial for a Joseph we don't know about. It is still relatively early in civil registration and it could be that his death was not even registered.

Janet