The Tank

Default Mansfield Marriage Guidance

Hi Folks

I need a bot of advice on the information on the marriage records in Mansfield between 1920 and 1960. I'm trying to trace a family called Wilson in the Shirebrook area near Mansfield, I've a series of children between 1907 and 1920 and in typical fashion there names are very common like Arthur, Sarah, Mary and Sam and the freebmd has multiple occurances of those names for Mansfield alone let alone wider Nottinghamshire.

I could order lots of copy marriage certificates but the numbers involved are a bit offputting and before I made a trip up to see the registers wondered if anyone had viewed them previously and whether the registers will point possible entries towards the fathers/parents - in this case Florence (nee Keen) and Arthur Wilson

Cheers

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by The Tank View Post
    before I made a trip up to see the registers wondered if anyone had viewed them previously
    Which registers were you hoping to view?

Unfortunately, there is no public access to registration records of births, marriages or deaths without purchasing certificates. Only the indexes can be accessed, even if you visit a register office in person. The indexes do not include parents' names.

The only exception would be if you knew that a marriage took place at a particular church (or other venue) for which the church copy happened to be deposited at a county or diocesan record office (not the register office). But from what you say above, that doesn't seem to be the case.

If you can't identify the right entry from the online marriage indexes, you could order a certificate from the GRO without giving an index reference. This allows you to specify criteria that must be matched, such as a father's first name. The GRO will then search for a matching entry up to one year either side of the year you specify. If no matching entry is found, your fee is refunded in full.

I hope that makes sense. Please ask again if it isn't clear, or if you need help with ordering.

You might also want to read our own webpages on certificates, to see the information you can expect to find on a marriage certificate (i.e. no mother's name).

I found these births to father Wilson mother maiden name Keen in Mansfield
    Sarah Wilson Dec 1/4 1911
    Lillian F June 1913
    Eric June 1/4 1916
    Mary Sept 1/4 1920
    Sam Sept 1/4 1920
    Oliver K June 1/4 1930

Will look for possible marriages for them but because they may still be living I will send you a private message.

Famous for offering help & advice

Please note as well if you are looking for Baptism or Marriage records for Shirebrook, Nottinghamshire Archives WON'T have copies as Shirebrook is Derbyshire. Chesterfield Library might be able to help you. Nottinghamshire don't even have records for villages that are in both counties for some reason eg Pleasley & Pinxton.

The Tank

Many thanks to all those who replied, particularly Mitch - that could have saved me a trip and I hadn't known that you could order certificates on teh fathers name.

Once again many thanks.