Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default 1881 Census - Can't find Luscombe

I need help finding a family in the 1881 census, please.

I have James and Fanny Luscombe in North Tamerton, Cornwall in 1871 (RG10 Piece 2213, Folio 7, Page 3) and but can't find them in 1881. I'm really trying to locate their son (Arthur James Luscombe) born in 1876 in Deptford. I've found him in Lewisham in 1891 (RG12, Page 522, Folio 167, Page 9) but no luck with 1881.

I've searched North Tamerton District 3 and District 4 page by page but they don't seem to be there so I presume they had departed to London somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

AudreyF

Loves to help with queries

Audrey

looked at the 1871 census ref you give to find their birth years but could only see an unmarried 17 year old James...can you confirm or just give James and Fanny's place and year of birth?

Sumi

Reputation beyond repute

In the 1891 census that you've found, George age 13 and Frank age 9 were both born in Deptford. Therefore Deptford is the likeliest place to look in 1881.

From the baptism records, in 1886 they were living at 60 Lucas Street. They were not there in 1881.

If you get Frank's birth certificate (born September 1881, from the baptism register), you'll get a better idea of where they might have been in April 1881.

Alternatively just do a forename search for the parish of Deptford* searching for George son of James and Fanny and you'll immediately find the family at
    The National Archives; RG 11/712 f 21 p 35

Sorry Sumi, forgot to make it clear about James but you were right. James born c1854 in Moretonhampstead was Arthur's father.

Peter, thank you! I don't know why I couldn't find it!

I'm now trying to find Arthur's wife Catherine Sarah Howick born 1880 in Worthing to John & Edith. They don't immediately turn up in 1891 or 1901 although I've got them in 1881. I must be doing something wrong in my searches - too specific, perhaps?

Audrey

pennydog

There is a Kate Howick b Eastborne, a general servant to the Warman family in Church Street, Midhurst.

RG12/847/116/15 (the TNA)

She gives he age as 16 which makes her year of birth 1875

pennydog

Kate Howick b Eastborne is still in Church Street, Midhust in 1891 now working for the Simpson family. The head Arthur is a clergyman.

RG13/972/116/16 (the TNA)

She now gives her age as 24 (B 1877) and is a cook

I wasn't thinking of a 'Kate' as I have her in electoral rolls/registers later and always as Catherine. I'll take a look - thank you.

Audrey

Reputation beyond repute

Eastbourne would be a strange choice of a place to provide for a date of birth for someone born in Worthing. Even if she believed that nobody had heard of Worthing, Brighton is a lot closer than Eastbourne!

Yes. I've looked at a map now and it does seem odd. Looking at the birth index shows Katherine S. Howick born in the East Preston registration district which would have been right for Worthing. There is also a Katie Howick in Midhurst which might be the lady above.

It would seem I'm back to looking for Catherine again. I shall have to try and use your method of looking 'around' the search in terms of what else was happening to the family.

Audrey
    Last edited by AudreyF; 05-02-2012 at 2:54 PM. Reason: forgot something

Well - still no luck! I've looked at 1881 and 1901 and the family are in Worthing (Sussex, East Preston) for both. Edith Howick is a widow in 1901 (John has died) and has her younger children with her. I've looked at the dates of birth of the younger children. Albert was born in Worthing in 1882 and Percy E in Worthing in 1892 so I'm pretty sure they should be around the same area in 1891. But, still can't find any of them in 1891 and when I search by County of Sussex and East Preston I only get two Districts. District 9 and District 9 Union Workhouse - I've searched both page by page but no luck. In the other censuses there is a District 6 and a District 10.

Is it possible some of the census is missing for this area?

Audrey

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast