Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyF View Post
    I received the death certificate for Edith this morning and this afternoon have a message that I'm being refunded for the marriage certificate. Any ideas why this would be?
    Whenever this has happened to me in the past I would end up with two messages. The first being a refund notification message, informing me of a card refund which usually arrived first and the second a message from the GRO Certificates Services, stating why I have received a refund. For example --> "We have not been able to locate an entry of..."

The message you have received - is this from the GRO Certificates Services?

Knowledgeable and helpful

No, the message is from the WorldPay site - I presume they are the people that manage the payments.

No, the message is from the WorldPay site - I presume they are the people that manage the payments.
    Yes, they manage payments.

I would wait for an email from the GRO Certificates Services. If say by the end of tomorrow you have not received anything, then you can use the GRO Certificates Services Complaints form to request an explanation for the refund.

Occupation: Widow of Albert Howick a Printer. (The words 'Widow' and 'a' have definitely been written in a different hand and with a different pen.)
    Are you saying that it is written...

Widow of Albert Howick a Printer

... with the words I have highlighted in a different pen?

Hmm! It is possible there was some confusion and son Albert’s name was mistakenly entered as her husband’s name.

at The Barracks, Maidstone Road, Hadlow, Tonbridge RD
    Informant: P. E. Howick. Son. Same address as place of death above.
    Yes, I would have thought that this was Percy but it would nice to confirm his full name. As a thought, you could try checking electoral registers. As far as I'm aware, the most comprehensive collection is held at the Centre for Kentish Studies, but I believe this is closed until later this year.
    Many libraries hold copies of electoral registers but I'm not sure how they would feel about looking up "The Barracks" since there may be many individuals listed at this address. Worth a shot though - if you ask them to look for any HOWICK listed at this address for the relevant year.

A couple of libraries you could try...

Tonbridge Local Studies Library

Tunbridge Wells Library

They say the information on the application does not match the entry. I suppose I need to double-check everything through. I'm surprised they've given a refund if it's my mistake.

Yes, the words you highlight are definitely a different hand and pen.

I'll give the libraries a try next week - I've previously found local libraries very helpful to us 'foreigners'!

I'm surprised they'd give a refund though because they must have spent time looking it up.
    Yes! If they can't locate a certificate that matches the details you supply, then you receive a full refund.

They say the information supplied on the application does not match the entry. Presumably this means I've made a mistake somewhere?
    Can you remember the details you supplied?

Yes, I've checked it all through and it seems correct so I've put a query in and will see what happens. It seems that whatever can go wrong with this research - does go wrong ..............

I e-mailed the Tonbridge Local Studies Library and a very kind chap there has replied that they can't find the address. I'm speculating now that 'The Barracks' was a house name and have asked him if he could check that for me. I'm hoping he'll be kind to me again! If not, perhaps someone on here knows Tonbridge?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234