Knowledgeable and helpful

Default 1692 Will translation help!

Another Thomas but this one is a little weird. It seems to be about Ann Hollins but mentions Thomas & Mary. Can't quite make it out. there is the main part and an attached letter.

[image removed by agreement]

and the letter

Last edited by Kerrywood; 04-02-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: reduce image

Name well known on Brit-Gen

This one is not a will but an Administration Bond.

Essentially, Thomas and Mary HOLLINS died intestate (no will), and Ann HULMES (widow, of the parish of Horton) is undertaking to administer their estate, in accordance with the law, before the end of December 1693. The guarantors are Thomas STONIER (clergyman?/clerk, of the same parish) and Thomas WOOD (fellmonger, of Cheadle).

Most of the wording is standard form and in a nice italic hand. The second part, in English, is not that hard to transcribe. Can I suggest you have a look at this page ...

https://www.
    nottingham.ac.uk/manuscriptsandspecialcollections/researchguidance/deedsindepth/associated/bond.aspx

... which explains the standard two-part structure of a bond. Then perhaps you could give it a try? If you get stuck, post the difficult bits, and I'm sure members will help out.

The second document in Latin relates to Thomas and Mary's children and their ages. It's possible that Ann HULMES was sworn to administer the estate because the children were all under 21. But that's just a guess, and I'm afraid I can't cope with all that Latin at this time of night. Perhaps someone else will have a go?

EDIT: Looking again, I think Ann HULMES is the children's grandmother.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 04-02-2012 at 1:40 AM. Reason: added a bit

Thanks Kerry I will have a look at that link

The main part is decipherable but the second part is hard. I got a few lines in then lost it. Not knowing Latin and 17th century handwritten Latin at that!

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Rabbit View Post
    The main part is decipherable but the second part is hard. I got a few lines in then lost it. Not knowing Latin and 17th century handwritten Latin at that!
    I believe this is the gist of it ...

Cheadull, 12 November 1692
    Mary Hollins, Ann Hollins and John Hollins appeared and bore witness that Thomas Hollins and Mary his wife had died intestate, and that they were Thomas and Mary’s children; there was also another son, Thomas. The children Mary, Ann and John were over 7 years old but not yet 21, and Thomas (the other son) was not yet 7. So Ann Hulme, widow, their grandmother, was seeking to administer the estate of the deceased Thomas Hollins on behalf of the children.

If I’ve missed anything important, hopefully someone else will pick it up and add it.

Brilliant! very useful. There are a few gaps in the parish records and this helps me to fill in missing pieces. Hopefully I can construct an accurate tree from it all but I will just have to wait and see how it all hangs together.

Glad it was helpful.

If you're happy with the transcriptions so far, may we remove some of the images from your threads, as they take up a lot of forum space? But I'd leave the Latin for the moment, in case anyone wants to add to that one.

When posting images it's helpful if they can be reduced a little. Or, if there's likely to be a loss of quality, a link can be posted to an external site instead? Thanks.

Yes no problem. You can remove the images. I'll have to experiment with reducing the image sizes (or maybe a link.)