Read about the fairly new website for British Newspapers Archives and decided to have a look and purchase some credits.
Here is what I found in a just a couple of hours (some of these are sad stories):
One of my ancestors, Mary Kenyon Proctor Saul Baines (I descend from a Saul son) left a cannister of hot tea on the table and her grand child pulled it over herself and died three days later - inquest ruled it an accidental death; another ancestor, Esther Saul (Mary's daughter in law) testified at an inquest about the death of a neighbour's infant - probably would have been ruled crib death today; and more for me, a mystery solved finally - my ancestor's sister, Ann Hibbert married Dixon Brearley in Manchester - they had five children together and no sign of Dixon after 1871 although the youngest child, Dixon Jr. was born in Douglas, Isle of Man in 1868 - but of course I had no death record for Dixon Sr. - found several accounts of horrendous story of a fire at a school in Douglas on January 31, 1868 where Dixon died - the only fatality. He must have been a volunteer fireman as it said he was a sawyer, which I knew, and mentioned where he worked. It also mentioned that his wife was due any day to have another child. She did - Dixon Jr. was baptised less than four weeks later. A collection was taken up in the community for her.
I also found a few marriage notices for other relatives, and quite a bit about an ancestor's brother who was an early constable in Huddersfield and later turned to selling groceries - and got into trouble himself for selling beer that was drunk on the premises!

All this in a few hours...and I'm just getting started!