pmouritsen

Default Banns of Marriage

I am looking a some records for marriage banns. In the morgin of most of the records, the priest has recorded the date of the marriage. In the margin of the record that I am interested in, it simply says "Out." What does that mean?

Mutley

At a very rough guess,
    the marriage took place outside the parish that the banns were recorded in, therefore the priest did not know the actual marriage date.

I might be wrong and I am sure I'll be corrected if I am.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    the marriage took place outside the parish that the banns were recorded in

Reputation beyond repute

Does this particular banns record not indicate the parishes involved? Traditionally, the marriage would take place in the bride's parish. The banns have to be read in both parishes.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Does this particular banns record not indicate the parishes involved? Traditionally, the marriage would take place in the bride's parish. The banns have to be read in both parishes.
    Peter, just to clarify...
    Are you saying that the banns pmouritsen is looking at,
    were possibly read in the groom's parish but the marriage probably took place in the bride's parish?

So.... pmouritsen needs to find another set of banns

Reputation beyond repute

We've only been given half the story but you might find in the the banns register for parish A that the banns were read for John Smith of this parish and Jane Brown of parish B. If the marriage wasn't in parish A, then it would make sense to look in parish B.

I assume the questioner is more interested in the actual marriage than the banns.