Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    zadok45

Default Elizabeth Colley (b.1864/5) - Marriage??

Hello. I'm presently researching my wife's side of the family tree. Subject - Elizabeth Colley, b. 1864/65, Bromsgrove, daughter of Henry Colley (b.1839) and Eliza Crawford (b.1841), also born in the Worcestershire area.

Have unearthed a few different Elizabeth Colley candidates, it appears to have been a popular name within a widespread, extended family. EDoes anybody have any links to Elizabeth? If so, please have you any additional information about her. I have a family photo, in which she appears, date uncertain, although it must have been taken no earlier than 1931.

Hope somebody can help.

You haven't mentioned what Census info you have but

Census 1881 (RG11 2939 51 20) - the Colley family including
    Elizabeth Colley, Dau, Single, 16, Servant (Out of Place), b. Bromsgrove, Worcestershire

Possible sighting?
    1991 Census (RG12 622 92 18)
    Elizabeth Colley, Servant, Single, 26, Cook Domestic Servant, b. Stoke Heath, Worcestershire
    Address Cumberland House, Richmond Road, Kew

This looks like the Elizabeth born Stoke Heath from the 1891 census. Whether she is yours.......?
    1901 RG13/1205/26/43
    67 Antrobus Road Acton
    Frank Pharo 43 Roadman (vestry) Farnham Surrey
    Elizabeth Pharo 34 Stoke Heath Worcestershire
    William Pharo 7 St Pancras
    Gracie Pharo 6 W Kensington
    Percy Pharo 4 Acton

On same page FreeBMD
    Marriages Dec 1/4 1892
    Elizabeth Colley and Frank Pharo Islington vol 1b page 665

Ordering the marriage cert on the proviso that Elizabeth's father's name is Henry with possible occupation nailer could confirm or not that she is your Elizabeth.

I am not too sure that the Elizabeth Colley born Stoke Heath is yours. I think she is the daughter of John and Elizabeth. Starting with the 1871 census and listing all Elizabeth Colleys born Worcestershire 1865 +/- 4
    1871 Born c1865 Kington Living Nth Piddle. reg dist Pershore. Parents Thomas and Jane
    1881?? 1891??1901??

1871 *Born c1865 Bromsgrove (Bromsgrove reg dist) Parents Henry and Eliza
    1881 *With parents again
    1891??
    1901??

1871 Born c1866Kington Living Flyford Flavell Pershore reg dist with Hannah grandmother and William 45 unmarried.
    1881??
    1891??
    1901??
    Pretty certain of these two below
    1871 Born c1867 Stoke Prior, Stoke Heath. Bromsgrove reg dist Parents John and Elizabeth
    1881 With parents at Stoke Heath, Stoke Prior
    1891 Born c1865 Stoke Heath cook/dom at Richmond Surrey
    1901 Born c1867 Stoke Heath.Married to Frank Pharro

1871 Born c 1867 Ombersley. Droitwich reg area Parents William and Mary
    1881 With parents again at Ombersley
    1891 Born c1867 Ombersley visitor at Gt Malvern Upton on Severn
    1901 Married to Thomas William P Jauncey. Living Ombersley
    Below are census records I haven't definitely attributed to any of the above.
    1881 Born Kington c1865 A dom servant at Nth Piddle Pershore
    This could be dau of Thomas and Jane - most likely,- or g/dau of Hannah
    1891 Born Kington c1864 gen dom serv at Ipsley, Redditch census says Warwickshire, Google maps says Worcestershire
    Is this dau of Thom and Jane or g/dau of Hannah
    1901 born Flyford Flavel c1869 Dom serv at Upper Ipsley Redditch
    Is this dau of Thom and Jane or of Henry and Eliz or g/dau of Hannah. I would say g/dua of Hannah which should mean that the Elizabeth in Ipsley in 1891 sh/b her.
    Where is Elizabeth Colley born Bromsgrove c1865 in all of this? BAH!!

zadok45

Thanks very much for your reply. I have the 1881 Census details, and also some earlier. The 1891 (not 1991!!) Census info is new to me, and of significant interest. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    You haven't mentioned what Census info you have but
    Possible sighting?
    1991 Census (RG12 622 92 18)
    Elizabeth Colley, Servant, Single, 26, Cook Domestic Servant, b. Stoke Heath, Worcestershire
    Address Cumberland House, Richmond Road, Kew

zadok45

Many thanks for your input, and the details you provided. Have ordered a couple of marriage certs, and await their details.
    From this post, and your subsequent one, it seems unlikely that this is a match for Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Colley.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    This looks like the Elizabeth born Stoke Heath from the 1891 census. Whether she is yours.......?
    1901 RG13/1205/26/43
    67 Antrobus Road Acton
    Frank Pharo 43 Roadman (vestry) Farnham Surrey
    Elizabeth Pharo 34 Stoke Heath Worcestershire
    William Pharo 7 St Pancras
    Gracie Pharo 6 W Kensington
    Percy Pharo 4 Acton

On same page FreeBMD
    Marriages Dec 1/4 1892
    Elizabeth Colley and Frank Pharo Islington vol 1b page 665

Ordering the marriage cert on the proviso that Elizabeth's father's name is Henry with possible occupation nailer could confirm or not that she is your Elizabeth.

zadok45

Progress report :-

Have received 2 marriage certs today. Not entireley unexpectedly, they are both wholly unrelated to the Elizabeth Colley I'm searching for.

Cert. 1: 1886, Birmingham, Warwick, 14 March; Elizabeth Colley, aged 19, to Isaac Ford, aged 70(????). Elizabeth's father is William Colley, a "Puddler". Elizabeth's mother may possibly be Sarah. Can't think why they sanctioned marriage of a 19-year old young woman to a 70-year old geezer. Further intense examination of the handwritten version of the marriage cert suggests that the figure might just be "20", with an incompletely finished "2", the bottom line being almost invisible.

Cert. 2: 1897, Droitwich, Worcestershire; Elizabeth Colley, aged 31, to Thomas William Phillips Jauncey, aged 30. Elizabeth's father isWilliam Colley again, although there is no certainty that these two Elizabeths are the same person.

So you'll find these certs in the appropriate forum section.

Hi again.
    Below is what the GRO have to say on ordering certs if date of birth not known. Just use the father's name and possible area plus we had a possible occupation for Henry.

"If you do not have the GRO index reference you may still apply online for any event which took place on or after 1st July 1837 to 6 months from the current date (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months) provided you have sufficient information to identify the entry. A 3 year search for the index reference will be carried out. You should supply the exact date of event if you have it. If you don't have the exact date, enter 01/01/YYYY and we will search the specified year and one year either side. If you do not provide an index reference number, your application will take up to 15 working days to process. There is a separate policy for events which have taken place in the last 50 years and full identifying information must be provided (see Q7 under “Important information on delivery times and policies.”

I am of the understanding that if the GRO cannot locate a suitable candidate you are not charged.
    Problem being, with a marriage cert you have a wider area of search than for a birth cert. We need someone who knows what they are talking about on this.

My post #4 identified two Elizabeths ( in 1871) one definitely father William and mother Mary. the other with grandmother Hannah and her son William but unmarried. Doesn't mean Elizabeth wasn't his dau of course.

zadok45

Thanks for your reply, and the GRO info. Am still pretty sure that the Colley/Pharo marriage isn't the one I'm looking for, because of the Stoke Heath background.

From all my other research data, I can be 99.999% certain that this is the correct Elizabeth Colley, because there is a clear lineage for both parents surnames, i.e. Colley & Crawford, and her father was Henry Colley.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    1871 *Born c1865 Bromsgrove (Bromsgrove reg dist) Parents Henry and Eliza
    1881 *With parents again
    1891??
    1901??

I agree with you. As I said in my post #4 The Stoke Heath Elizabeth was dau of John and Elizabeth. This is why I suggested asking for a search with a father Henry.

Now I have my internet service back I will take another look at it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast