Thread: Wanborough

sandrilliam

Default Wanborough

Does any one know if there are any overseers records available for the Parish of Wanborough and if so, where can I find them?

Jan1954

Wanborough - or Wanborrow - comes under the Guildford Poor Law Union.

According to the Workhouse website (workhouses.org.uk/) the holdings of the Surrey History Centre include Guardians' minutes (1836-1930); Births (1866-1936); Deaths (1887-1914); etc.

They would be a good first stop to see if they have Overseer's Records as well.

Is this of help?

Reputation beyond repute

The term is usually associated with the old poor law. Is this what you're asking about? You'll have to ask Surrey History Centre what they've got for whatever dates you're interested in.

Wanborough parish seems to have been a bit out-of-commission for a chunk of the 18th and 19th centuries. It might be that you have to look under Puttenham but Surrey History Centre will be able to advise.

sandrilliam

Thanks Jan,

I am looking for records from the late 17th century and early 18th, but I am not sure that they exist any longer.

sandrilliam

Thanks Peter,

I have tried looking at the Puttenham records, but with no success.

I'll have to try and get down to Surrey History Centre again.

Thanks for your efforts.

Sandra.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The Surrey Poor Law Index & Calendar (from West Surrey FHS) provides an index to the poor law records for non-metropolitan Surrey (84,000), along with abstracts of the essential data in them.

There is nothing specifically for Wanborough, but the parish name does crop up incidentally in a few other items.

I see that you are very far from Surrey. I wonder if you are aware that the SHC will undertake research?

sandrilliam

I have a copy of the Surrey Poor Law Index and Calendar, but have found nothing connected with this enquiry on it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sandra.