Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by junedye64 View Post

I couldn't find the 1861 census where Catherine is called a niece
    No, it's Catherine's mother Susannah who is described as "niece". In Ancestry - George Pallett born 1810, Lambeth - will find her.

Yes I saw you'd ordered the marriage certificate. I'm awaiting the result with interest.

junedye64

Malcolm this family gets stranger & stranger.

I saw the 1861 census and Susannah named as niece but they are both 51.
    Also where is Catherine.

June

junedye64

Well the Death certificate came today and its the wrong one.

She was the wife of John Russell and lived in Acton.

Here we go again.

Waiting for the marriage cert now.

June

junedye64

Received the marriage cert.
    Edward William Russell 42 years Widower Dock Labourer
    Catherine Pallett 42 years Widow Father: George Smith (Deceased) Builders Watchman

They were married at St. Anns R.C. Church Whitechapel 3 Dec 1899

Tried to find Catherine Smith marrying ? Pallett but so far no luck.

So if Edward says he is a widower Hannah died between Dec 1897 and Dec 1899

pippycat

Oh June, thats not good, we were so pinning our hopes on that being the correct death for Hannah..

more searching!

Rebecca

junedye64

The only thing I could find was:

Hannah Kaplan 32 (I know it's nothing like Russell but everything else is right)
    Died Whitechapel Dec qtr 1897 1c 206

Alfred was born 24 Dec 1897. They were living in Whitechapel. hannah was born 1865 so she would have been 32.

Could someone have made a mistake with her surname. How do you sort that one out.

June

pippycat

June,

Its such a totally different surname though: unless it maybe, possibly, could, be a family name from somewhere back along the line?

I know mistakes can be made, but there's probably other Hannah's with a different surname that can be made to fit the bill equally as well..Id be very wary of it myself.

Lets see what others think.

Rebecca

junedye64

I do agree Rebecca I wouldn't normally consider it but I can't see any other.

I put just Hannah in and that was the only one that came up with anything near her age.

However I don't know how you could find out apart from sending for the certificate which I won't do at the moment.

June

malcolm99

I’ve had another really good look for Hannah’s death between Alfred’s birth (24/12/1897 – Foster Street) and Edward & Catherine’s marriage (3 Dec 1899 – when according to Ancestry’s London Electoral Registers, Edward was living in Brady Street). Foster Street and Brady Street were very close to each other (Foster Street seems to have been just about behind where the infamous ‘Blind Beggar’ pub is today) and I do find it difficult to believe that there is something ‘dodgy’ going on – not least because Edward and Catherine took on Hannah’s children so readily (qv 1901 & 1911 censuses).

I suspect that something went wrong with Hannah’s death registration between Bethnal Green Registration Office and the GRO. It would be interesting if the Bethnal Green RD’s Death Registers were searched to see if her death is actually in their records even though it’s not in the GRO records.

We like to think GRO records are infallible but experience teaches that this is not always so!

junedye64

Hi Malcolm
    do you think if I phoned Bethnal Green Registration Office they would help?
    I suppose it's worth a try.

June

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast