lesleyl

Default Born in the workhouse

I previously posted trying to find out about records for Patience BOX and I now have her birth certificate. In the 1901 census Patience is with her mother in Wolverhampton Union Workhouse, age 18 months, but her birth certificate shows she was born in Union Workhouse, Burnley in 1899.

Are the records for births in the workhouse still available and will I be able to find out about why she was admitted? I have so many questions about her, her sisters and brother and her father, George Gilbert Box, but George is another story and quite 'seedy' too, or so it appears.

I can't find the brother and sisters in the 1901 census nor her father. Where would the other children be? Where is George? In 1891 he was lodging, age 24years in Dudley, status as married and employed as a Boot and Shoe Maker.

I have found his service records, incorrect age, never seemed to have seen active duty and on discharge, his real age comes to light, he seems to have gained an additional 10 years from enlisted. At enlistment in 1915 he states he is NOT married. How usual would it have been for someone like him to have been divorced, in that era?

Sorry, sorry, sorry - lots of questions.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by lesleyl View Post
    I previously posted trying to find out about records for Patience BOX and I now have her birth certificate. In the 1901 census Patience is with her mother in Wolverhampton Union Workhouse, age 18 months, but her birth certificate shows she was born in Union Workhouse, Burnley in 1899.

Are the records for births in the workhouse still available and will I be able to find out about why she was admitted?
    According to the Workhouse website (workhouses.org.uk/), the Lancashire Records Office hold some records from the Burnley Workhouse whilst Woverhampton Archives hold some information for their workhouse.

lesleyl

Thanks for the information but I have looked at what each of those organisations hold and none for for the right date :-((

Hi

on the 1911 census I can find just one Patience Box and she is in the Nazareth Home Roman Catholics, NAZARETH HOME FOR ROMAN CATHOLICS

Nazareth Home Roman Catholics, Nazareth Home for Roman Catholics,Pembroke Street St Clements Oxford her age is 11 and an Inmate states born in Bury Lancashire

PEANUT

lesleyl

Thanks Peanut but I had found her there previously. Born Burnley workhouse, 1899 then Wolverhampton workhouse 1901, then Oxford as you found, not sure when she left there to end up in London, Stratford where she married and eventually moved out to Essex. Sadly she died suddenly age just 49.