Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hank

Question trying to find a birth

I am helping my wife do her family tree,we are stuck with her paternal grandfather we cannot find a birth for him, his name was joseph mayers,we have a marriage to edith m williams in sept 1920 in neath,south wales,and his death at his daughters home in croyden in surrey in 1979.
    we would be greatfull for any help.

Jan1954

Hello Hank,

There are a number that could be him on FreeBMD. However, do you have a rough idea of when or where he was born? How old was he when he died? Have you found him in the 1911 or 1901 census at all?

Sorry for the questions....

hank

Hi jan,
    we beleive he was born in neath on the 27th of april 1895,and he was 84 when he died,there are family rumors that there may have been a surname change somewhere along the line,we have tried freebmd and ancestry but are now pulling our hair out.
    hank

hank

the only place we have found him, was his marriage, and his death

hank

his children were mervyn joseph 1920- 2000
    margaret 1922 -
    edith 1926-
    joan 1927-
    not sure when the girls died

malcolm99

Hello Hank

Just for starters there are 2 births in the Cardiff Registration District around 1895:

1. Joseph Charles Mayer born Cardiff RD Mar Quarter 1894
    2. Joseph James Mayer born Cardiff RD Sep Quarter 1896

There is a Joseph Mayer born c1894 on the 1901 Census at RG13 Piece 4988 fol. 197 p. 64 and there is a Joseph J Mayer born c1896 on the 1901 at RG13 Piece 4988 fol. 147 p. 41

(Records in care of TNA: Crown copyright)

malcolm99

Hank, what is his father's name and occupation as given on the marriage certificate?

hank

malcolm,i can not answer those questions as we do not have the marriage certificate,our next move is to apply for it.
    thanks hank.

malcolm99

Yes that would be the next thing to do. Meanwhile there are one or two things I want to check and so I'll be back to you. I think there's a good chance we can track him down.

malcolm99

Interestingly a Joseph MEARS was born in Neath Registration District in the June Quarter 1895 which would cover the 27th April birthdate. [Neath RD, Jun Q 1895 Vol.11a, page 900] – we still need the marriage certificate though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast