Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    custard_pot

Default Help please - Poppleton

I have asked before on part of this family and wondered if I could get more help. We cannot seem to get anywhere with the Poppleton side. What we have is

My friends Grandfather was William Henry Poppleton b.1 May 1879 Hoyland, his mother according to his birth certificate was Mary Ann Poppleton, a domestic servent. There is no father on the certificate but we have established that hgis father was William Gillott.

We cannot seem to find Mary Ann other than a death that could possibly be her and will recieve the certificate next Friday when my friend picks it up.

We are assuming Mary was born in Yorkshire and think it would be the Barnsley area but of course we have nothing to confirm this.

Any help on the Poppleton's would be very much appreciated, we have gone back a long way on the Gillott side.

Christine

Nicolina

looking at the 1881 Census for the West Riding, there are 3 possible Mary POPPLETONs who were in Domestic service and of a suitable age. Without further information it will be very difficult to establish which is the right one

lizone

Is the death you have found as follows:
    POPPLETON Mary Ann (aged 19) Barnsley vol 9c page 123? (from FreeBMD)

Liz

custard_pot

Yes that is the death that we are waiting for the certificate for.

Christine

lizone

I missed a bit of important information in my last post as follows:

POPPLETON Mary Ann (aged 19) Barnsley Apr - Jun 1879 vol 9c page 123 (from FreeBMD)
    which reduces the search down considerably.

Two births which may help (from FreeBMD):
    POPPLETON Mary Ann Barnsley Jul - Sept 1858 vol 9c page 117
    POPPLETON Mary Wakefield Apr - Jun 1861 vol 9c page 15

Perhaps you could tell us what you have already found/know and what you have discounted? When the certificate arrives, hopefully it may show you something about the family, address, etc.

Liz

Nicolina

if Mary Ann died in 1879 it could explain how her son came to live with his reputed father.

custard_pot

We now have the Death Certificate

Mary Ann Poppleton

She died 18 Jun 1879 at Platts Common Hoyland Barnsley.

In occupation it says Fathers Name Henry Poppleton, Miner

She died of Bronchial Pneumonia, under this is written confirmed after 5 days and then a name and letters which signify a doctor

The death was registered by Emma Green who was present at the death, registered on 28 Jun 1879.

I have also checked on a website that gives all the burials in the Barnsley area and she is not listed on there in fact there are no Poppleton's listed that would correspond with the date of death.

This is the website for burials

https://www.
    cemeteries.org.uk/

Christine
    Last edited by Procat; 17-12-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Link removed - site asks for donations. See AUP

lizone

Could this be the family?

1861: Class: RG9; Piece: 3449; Folio: 79; Page: 5
    Littleworth Hill 'Pickets Fold', Monk Bretton (Barnsley district)
    POPPLETON, Henry, head, married, age 48, coal miner's labourer, Yorkshire Cudworth
    POPPLETON, Priscilla, wife, married, age 46, Yorkshire Dodworth
    POPPLETON, Henry, son, unmarried, age 17, coal miner, Yorkshire Monk Bretton
    POPPLETON, Alfred, son, age 10, scholar, Yorkshire Monk Bretton
    POPPLETON, George, son, age 4, scholar, Yorkshire Monk Bretton

FreeBMD also has the following death:
    POPPLETON Henry (age 57) Barnsley Jan - Mar 1867 vol 9c page 115

But something to do with the ages of all those concerned just doesn't quite add up .... plus there's no Mary Ann.

Liz

custard_pot

Nothing seems to add up with this family. I have searched and searched and I don't seem able to find her anywhere. I can't understand with her dying in Barnsley why she was not buried in Barnsley. Why was her Fathers name put where her occupation should have been.

Christine

Nicolina

there is also the death of Priscilla POPPLETON (aged 67) Barnsley Oct-Dec 1880 vol 9c page 103.

1871 Census (RG10/4648/77 page 13) for Smithy Green Court, Monk Bretton has:
    Sarah GIBSON, head, b. abt. 1811 in Dodworth(?)
    Priscella (sic) POPPLETON, sister, b. abt. 1813 in Dodworth (?)
    Thomas Owen GIBSON, son, b. abt. 1849 in Barnsley occ: Coal Miner
    Fany (sic) POPPLETON, granddaughter, b. abt. 1866 in ?
    Sarah Ann GIBSON, granddaughter, b. abt. 1868 in ?
    Robert EMMS, boarder, b. abt. 1850 in Barnsley occ: Coal Miner

Sarah & Priscilla are both enumerated as "House Wife" and "Widow"
    Still no Mary Ann though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast