Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bertie

RobinC - per your two posts above:

1. Matthew Henry - do you have census records for him; do any of them state Greenwich or RN Pensioner? [Looking up Damiral and variants gets lots of results as you know because of Stoke Damerel by Plymouth!]

2. Yes I mean whatever the document is that states the service of Henry

RobinC

I haven't got any census records for Matthew Henry, and have just looked on FMP finding nothing!

The partial service record is from a certificate that was given for the admission of a child into the Royal Naval Asylum (from the Navy office).

Bertie

Re. the latter, the certificate is what I would expect to see: it is odd why HMS Leopard is not listed as he is (per his will) there complete with a muster list number! I think eyeballing the records of Fisgard and Leopard is really going to help

RobinC

Looking at Henry's will again, it says this at the top:

"IN the Name of GOD, Amen, I Henry Damiral on board His Majesty's Ship Leopard James N. Morris esq captain No. on ships books...." but I can't make out the last part "...71"

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/hdwpn.jpg/

Would this be his service / pay book number?

Bertie

R71 it looks like

RobinC

I couldn't work out whether it is a A, P or R due to the way it's written.

RobinC

I've just looked up James N. Morris on google and found that he was wounded during the battle of Trafalgar during which he was captain of the Colossus.

And I've found this on wikipedia:

Trafalgar

"Colossus fought at Trafalgar under Captain James Nicoll Morris, in Collingwood's lee column. After sustaining fire from the enemy fleet, she eventually ran by the French Swiftsure, 74, and became entangled with Argonaute, 74. Towards the end of the exchange of fire between the two ships, Captain Morris was hit by a shot from one of Argonaute's guns, just above the knee. Argonaute broke free from Colossus after this, whilst the British ship was engaging both Swiftsure and the Spanish Bahama, 74, on her other side. Bahama surrendered when Colossus brought down her main mast, and Swiftsure did likewise after combined fire from Colossus and Orion brought down her main and mizzen masts."

No sign of Henry amongst the killed / wounded though which is a good thing I think!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123