Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RobinC

Default Finding a mariner's death before 1823

What records would be available for me to find a death registration for a mariner before 1823 as I don't know the location of his death.

I do have a copy of a will dated 1803 where he names his wife as executor but does that mean he died or created the will in 1803?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello

A will dated 1803 would appear tobe the year he set out his wishes on his demise!

On his death the will would be the insdtrument used to distribute his estae. Firstly it would need ot go to probate, this usually records the date of death ......

RobinC

I haven't been able to find a probate for him yet and was wondering if a death at sea would throw a spanner in the works so to speak?

Reputation beyond repute

What records would be available for me to find a death registration for a mariner before 1823
    Do you mean a death at sea? There is advice in this Research Guide

If on dry land, search burial registers and indexes such as the NBI.

I do have a copy of a will dated 1803 where he names his wife as executor but does that mean he died or created the will in 1803?
    The will was presumably signed and dated. This was the date he signed. You would be best to search for probate records which are likely to contain some reference to when and where he died.

Let us know where he or his wife lived and we can advise further.

RobinC

I do mean a death at sea and am still of the opinion it would be between 1803 and 1823.

The will was signed on the 22nd December 1803.

I have the following addresses for Henry Damiral (?) and his wife:
    Crucifix Lane, Bermondsey
    Printers Place, Bermondsey
    Jamaica Row, Bermondsey

My other thread on Henry's family is here but I started this one to find out about his death.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...hlight=damiral

(I don't know how to do the link thing)

Reputation beyond repute

I looked at the other thread and see he was actually in the Royal Navy. I see there was a lot of advice given, it might be helpful if you let us know what you've followed up (muster rolls?)

RobinC

I haven't been able to look at any muster rolls as I'll have to go to the National Archives in person to do that (they don't appear to be able to provide copies).

In the short term, I'm not sure what avenues to take.

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I haven't been able to look at any muster rolls as I'll have to go to the National Archives in person to do that (they don't appear to be able to provide copies).

In the short term, I'm not sure what avenues to take.
    The ships muster rolls may hold the answer....and the pay books. Once you identify 'your man' on board ship, it becomes a slow, but possible way to track his career as a sailor, and the paybooks will often enter if and when the sailor has died (D[ischarged]D[ead] is the usual entry.

But as I said in the other thread it's a slow paint dry task, and necessitates a visit to Kew. My Naval ancestor made two wills, one a standard 'fill in the gaps' will, and after he left the Navy another more comprehensive one, drawn up a little before he died, so just because you have a will doesn't necessarily mean he died soon after.

Make that trip if you can! Good luck

Anne

RobinC

Is it best to peruse the National Archives catalogue to ensure you get the right records or to ask on the day to make sure the records are available and are actually the ones you need?

Reputation beyond repute

Is it best to peruse the National Archives catalogue to ensure you get the right records or to ask on the day to make sure the records are available and are actually the ones you need?
    I think you need to read the Visit us portion of the National Archives website (under the "About us" tab on the main menu). The information there is reasonably comprehensive. If you want to know more, just shout.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast