Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reputation beyond repute

Don't apologise, I have misled you and managed to get it completely wrong. Sorry. I don't know what I was thinking of. The volume and page number refers to the filing arrangement at GRO which we can't see but GRO staff can.

FreeBMD has got volume and page fields and we can use these fields to call up the names which are on a particular page. Each page is identified not by the page number alone but by the event type (eg Births), year, quarter, district, volume and page.

What I should have said was that if you enter in FreeBMD "Births" and "John Smith", is there one entry for 9c 4279 and another one for 9c 3464? In this case I'm sure that wouldn't happen because it wouldn't be needed since we're talking about the same name and same quarter. If it was referring to a different quarter, it probably would be indexed twice.

Please ignore all the misleading rubbish I gave you.

Your safest approach to order the certificate is to quote 9c 3464/S or alternatively don't quote any reference details (the certificate takes longer that way)

Reputation beyond repute

By the way, to use FreeBMD's volume and page fields, you usually enter the type, the district, quarter and year, volume and page. In some circumstances you might do something a little different for example if you were trying to figure out a FreeBMD transcription error.

Peter,

Thank you! I didn't articulate my question particularly well, but I've got there in the end, and I understand fully now, and learned something I didn't know before. Thank you again.

Mutley,

The reason the volume and page number doesn't come up in the search is because it's a page that hasn't been transcribed yet - it's a comparatively recent event. I found the image by searching through all the images, drilling down by event, year, surname letter, etc, from the 'View Images' option on the Home page. Thank you for taking the time to look, though.

Famous for offering help & advice

I know you say you feel you've got this sorted, but something just occurred to me that hasn't been mentioned. I'm pretty sure that where I've seen amendments in the GRO indexes they have been cross-referenced to a later entry, giving the year and quarter. What I wondered with this one was whether the original entry (9c 4279) was in the first part of the year (March or June quarter), and the S indicates that the amendment (9c 3464) appeared in the September quarter, with the non-mention of a year implying that it was the same year as the original.

I've had a look on Ancestry, which has better coverage than FreeBMD for more recent registrations, and for the period 1916-2005 there were around 40 entries for each of those references. Since you know the date, you should probably be able to narrow that down to just a few.

Only you will know whether this suggestion is feasible, but if other enquiries don't get you anywhere it might be something to consider.

Arthur

Hi Arthurk

Yes, I have seen similar amendments that look very much as if they refer to a different Quarter. I don't think this applies to my particular case because the entry was in the September Quarter in any case. Once I find out what the amendment actually refers to then I'm sure more will fall into place.

MoK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12