Belle

Angry Will the real EMILY BURROWS please stand up?

This may be a long post....
    I have a marriage certificate for Emily BURROWS b Liverpool 1856, marriage to Hugh Johnston on 4th June 1877 at St Mary's Church Kirkdale.
    Emily's father is James Burrows a cabinet maker and one of the winesses to the marriage is Richard Burrows.
    Hugh and Emily are definitely my ancestors. (The Burrows name is used as a second Christian name for all the girls in the next generation)
    I have tried to trace the Burrows line back - I have found a James Burrows born 1832 at Liverpool. He appears in the 1851 census as an Apprentice Joiner with his father (also James b 1806 Coventry a 'Porter') and his mother Mary (b 1816 Waterford, Ireland), there is a Richard age 8 also shown. I thought that James b 1832 would be Emily's father.
    (Out of interest James b 1806 is shown in the 1861 census as 'Porter to Cabinet Maker')

There is an Emily b abt 1857 on the census shown as daughter to William Davis (Dawes) Burrows.
    I obtained a birth certificate for Emily born Liverpool 1856 and the father's name is William Davies Burrows so not my Emily.
    There is no James Burrows on any census as a cabinet maker apart from one other in 1851 born in Bristol circa 1806 but I have dismissed this as there are no children listed and he and his wife are in their mid forties.

What do I do next to trace Emily's birth and prove the info given on her marriage cert is correct?How can I take this line back further - have tried all permutations of the spelling and keep coming up blank.
    Thanks for lasting to the end of the post.......... and not falling asleep!

pattenwalsh

When I read this post the very first thing that struck me was "I have a marriage certificate for Emily BURROWS b Liverpool 1856, marriage to Hugh Johnston on 4th June 1877 at St Mary's Church Kirkdale."How do you know that the Emily Burrows that married Hugh Johnston in 1877 was born in Liverpool in 1856?

RonOne

There are only two birth registrations for an Emily Burrows 1856 in Lancashire (none for 3 years either side)

Births Jun 1856
    BURROWS Emily - Liverpool 8b 160
    (which is probably the one you have the birth cert for)

The other one is:

Births Sep 1856
    Burrows Emily Mary - W Derby 8b 331

Emily Mary Burrows, Daughter of William Dawes Burrows & Sarah Jane
    Born: 5 Aug 1856
    Abode: Cobden St, Everton
    Baptised: 18 Sep 1856 at St John, Liverpool, Lancashire
    Baptised by: G. L. Ireland Curate

Name well known on Brit-Gen

closest I can find to a James Burrows is:

BURROWS, James age 35 b.1806 not b in county, an upholsterer. Cropper St.
    BURROWS, Mary age 25 b.1816 Ireland
    BURROWS, James age 10 b.1831 Lancashire
    BURROWS, Thomas age 1 b.1840 Lancashire
    Piece:560 Book/Folio:7/23 Page:38

Later the only one I found who was a cabinet maker was with family (no Emily) in LINCOLNSHIRE.
    Last edited by Waitabit; 08-01-2012 at 1:20 AM. Reason: typo
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

RonOne

This may be relevant:

Married by Banns, 5 Feb 1886 at St Matthias, Liverpool, Lancashire
    James Pendelbury, aged 27, Bachelor, Mariner, 12 Oil Street - William Henry Pendelbury, Cooper
    Ellen Burrows, aged 19, Spinster, No occupation, 7 Blackstone St - Father: James Burrows, Cabinet Maker
    Witness: Thos. Stephenson; Mary Ryan
    Clergy: C J Robinson Incumbent

pattenwalsh

Can see an Ellen Burrows b.1867 with a brother Richard b.1871 at RG10 Piece 3999: Folio:60 Page:11 1871
    Copyright T.N.A

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    I have found a James Burrows born 1832 at Liverpool. He appears in the 1851 census as an Apprentice Joiner with his father (also James b 1806 Coventry a 'Porter') and his mother Mary (b 1816 Waterford, Ireland), there is a Richard age 8 also shown.
    (Out of interest James b 1806 is shown in the 1861 census as 'Porter to Cabinet Maker')
    James and Mary also have a daughter Emma aged 4 (1861 census) could she be Emily?

Belle

Pattenwalsh - Thanks for asking and taking the time to read the post - Emily's age on the marriage cert is given as 21 which makes her born about 1856. I presumed she was born in Liverpool as it was normal I understand for women to be married in the parish in which they lived - she lived in Buckingham Street Kirkdale.

Thanks too to everyone else who has read and tried to help.

Lizzy - I thought they may be one and the same too....also thought that maybe Emily was either a middle name or a variation on another name. Am going to try and physically check the christening records for the local church to see if that turns up anything.

Perhaps I will have to concede on this for a while - and concentrate on husband Hugh instead!