Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    barrie wise

Default Jeremiah Farmer

Hello Malcolm,

Went to the Achives today and had a look through the Hamilton and New Norfolk parish registers to see what I could find and came up with the following:

1. Baptisms solemnized in the parish of Hamilton in the County of Monmouth in the year 1845: no.139 baptised on 13th February 1845, John, son of Jeremiah and Margaret Farmer, abode "Allannah"? [a property name in the district], trade or profession shepherd, the ceremony was performed by John Roven? officiating. ref: film Z2864.

2. Marriages in the district of Hobart 1876: no.53 on 22nd February 1876 John Farmer 30, cabman, bachelor and Jane Carpenter 31, daughter of a blacksmith, widow, married by license in the Cathedral Church of St. David, according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Church of England by F. B. Sharland in the presence of George Oaks and Ellen Ingram. Registered on the 22nd February 1876. ref: NS 282/10/1, film Z2248. [neither John or Jane could write]

3. Jane Longey 22 married Frederick Carpenter on the 13th August 1862 in Hobart and had three children, a female in 1863, Georgina Elizabeth in 1866, and Evangaline Florence in 1870.

4. Births in the district of Hobart 1877: no. 2599 on the 22nd February 1877, male [unnamed], father John Farmer, mother Jane Farmer [formerly Longey], profession or trade cab driver, informant was Jane Farmer mother, Liverpool Street, registered 22nd March 1877 by H. Buckland deputy registrar. ref: RGD 33/2599, film Z2405.

5. Baptisms in the year 1877 at St. David's: no. 77 born 15th February 1877?, baptised on 7th May 1877, John George Henry, parents John and Jane Farmer, Liverpool Street, cabman, ceremony performed by A. R. A. Beresford. ref: NS282/8/5 film Z2246.

6. John George Henry Farmer married Henrietta Emeline Gay on 14th September 1900 at Hobart. [can't get the info after 1900, so would have to trawl all the church registers of Hobart to find the actual details]. They had at least one child.

7. Suddenly on July 27 1948 at the Royal Hobart Hospital, John George Henry, dearly beloved husband of Henrietta Farmer of 109 Cresent Road, West Hobart, and loved father of Corella [Mrs. D. Everett], in his 70th year. ref: "The Mercury", 297h July 1948.

8. On October 19, 1948 at her daughter's residence 12 Brayside Cresent, Lower Sandy Bay, Henrietta Alice, beloved wife of the late John George Farmer late of 109 Lansdowne Crescent, and loved and loving mother of Corella [Mrs. D. Everett]. Peacefully sleeping. ref: "The Mercury", 20th October 1948.

9. Corella Irene Everett born c 1905, cremated 13th March 1958, and is interred at Cornelian Bay cemetery with her mother and father. ref: Methodist section FF, no. 256.

Hope this is of some use to you.
    Barrie.

mr angry

Hello Barrie,

Again i MUST thankyou for your hard work, i did not think that i would be able to find anything about my family in Australia. It now seems that i might have relatives still living there you never know they might be looking for relatives here. So thanks again for your hard work it is much appreciated.

Regards Malcolm.

janbooth

In case you have an Ancestry sub, Jeremiah's actual UK Prison Hulk Register entry is on there. It says he was aged 30 on 9 Feb 1831, convicted at Winchester on 18 December 1830 for Robbery, sentenced to 14 years, HOW DISPOSED OF (great way of putting it!) VDL (presumably Van Dieman's Land) 6 April 1831.

There is also a Family Tree on Ancestry for Jeremiah which states that he married an Elizabeth EASTMAN at Andover on 26 February 1826 - might be worth contacting the owner of the Tree. The Tree states that Elizabeth EASTMAN died in 1831 at Andover but shows the birth of a third son Robert in 1835??? FMP confirms the baptism of John FARMER on 10 August 1828 at Hurstbourne Tarrant and 17 July 1831 at Hurstbourne Tarrant of William FARMER, both records show the parents as Jeremiah & Elizabeth FARMER plus the baptism on 19 July 1835 at Hurstbourne Tarrant of Robert FARMER baseborn son of Elizabeth - doesn't sound as if she died in 1831 does it!

There might be another clue in other FARMER baptisms shown on FMP. There are several children of a Thomas & Sarah FARMER, i.e. 22 May 1825 at Vernham Dean Betsy FARMER of Upton, 1 June 1828 at Vernham Dean William FARMER of Upton, 21 November 1830 at Vernham Dean Isaac FARMER of Upton and 26 January 1834 at Hurstbourne Tarrant Eliza FARMER of Ethrop. Given that both Upton & Vernham Dean appear in the information that Barrie has found for you, perhaps Thomas is a relative of your Jeremiah?

Findmypast have a lot of Hampshire records on their website including the parishes of Vernham Dean & Hurstbourne Tarrant so perhaps worth a look?

Janet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12