Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Did Eva Frances go to Canada with grandparents and brother and then return. Was Eva Frances born in Canada. That is possible but I have found a death for the mother Fanny Fisher Overton in 1878 in Brighton aged 31 2b 151
    I've been having a lookabout wherever I could, & on seeing Jacob Friend on 1871 I looked at the image. Seems their Dtr Fanny married Charles Overton. I did wonder if Eva was their child, then saw someone else had the same idea. Name however is NOT Eva.

Jacob Friend 50 kent..p 36
    Louisa Dtr Hove Sussex "
    Edith Dtr 12 ..p 37
    Charles Overton 26 Son-in-Law Brighton
    Fanny dtr married 24.. Dover kent
    George S G'son 7 mths
    RG10; Piece: 1087; Folio: 121; Page: 37; (Crown copywrite held at TNA)

Fanny Louise Overton

Birth 24th November 1873
    Death in Brighton Sussex

Parents
    Charles Overton1844 –
    Fanny Fisher Friend1846 –

Spouse & Children:
    Stanley Foulkes1877 –
    Elsie Alicia Foulkes1903 –
    Munroe tree.

Cannot find a marriage for the above Lady.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Wendy
    Thanks so much for the input.
    The marriage was definitely Stanley Foulkes and Eva Frances acording tho BMD in 1898. In 1911 it is Eva Frances also. The Frances could easily become Fanny but there is just NO birth for her only Fanny Louisa which does not sound anything like Eva Frances.
    Apparently the owner of the Munroe Tree is bamboozled like me over this!
    However if George visited in 1930 his sister Fanny Foulkes it has to be the same person?? Doesn't it! Unless Fanny Louisa married another Foulkes but like you I can find no marriage for her.
    Maybe I could try to contact the Munroe Tree owner and see if she has a source for her reasoning.

I am sure Eva Frances is the child of Fanny and Charles Overton as her child Edna is my father's cousin via Mary(Prescott) and Jacob Friend, Fanny's parents.

brucerennie

I just recently came across your post. The person you are referring to was my aunt. Her father was John Rennie and her mother was Edith Jane Friend. Her name was Mary Edith Wallace Rennie. Her husbands name was John Fred Rattay. She actually had three brothers, John Roy Rennie, born in Canada in1883; Gordon Friend Rennie, also born in Canada in about 1885; Clarence Lyman Rennie, my father, born in Kansas City, Kansas in 1895. I have considerably more information which I will be uite happy to share with you.

Bruce Rennie

Hello Bruce
    How lovely to hear from you.
    I will go back over this old thread again and get back to you.
    I visited Mary and Fred when we were living in California. My adult children treasure a knitted Christmas stocking they each have knitted by Mary!
    My father and Mary were keen correspondents before my Dad passed away.
    Thanks again for your response.
    Marj.

When I have revisited this information I will let you know how we are related via Mary and my Dad. Definitely cousins!!!
    I would love more information when you are able to pass it on.

brucerennie

Default Edith Friend

Marj, It's been a while since we were in contact. As I said earlier, my grandmothers maiden name was Edith Jane Friend. Her father was Jacob Friend and he was born in Sheperdswell, Kent. His wife's name was Mary. I have never been sure what her maiden name was but at some time I came across something that led me to believe that it was Prescott. I seem to recall having seen some reference to a Mary Prescott in one of your postings. If this is true I have information on several generations of Friend ancestors as well as four generations of Edith's descendants.

Bruce

Hello again Bruce

I apologise for not getting back to you before now.
    You last message however gives us an answer to the puzzle.
    Mary Prescott was a sister of my great great grandfather Henry Prescott who came out from Kent as a ship hand in the early 1800's. I have several of the letters he wrote to his mother which I would be very happy to share with you at some stage.
    I will private message you and that way be able to send you information.

regards

Marj

pip wright

I am trying to make contact with Dargie. My name is Pip Wright and I am pursuing Thomas Warren (formerly schoolmaster at Earl Stonham). I write local history books (see: www.pipwright.com) and have an idea involving the charity school at Earl Stonham in Suffolk. My e-mail is on my website.

Hello Pip
    I am so glad to hear from you.

I will contact you via your web site re Thomas Warren.

robbiewilson

Default Edith Rennie

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    My problem is a classic example of "not talking to parents before too late".

My father corrresponded with a cousin in California before his death in 1984. I know her name and the name of a brother but I have absolutely no idea "how" she is a cousin.

She speaks in her letters about another cousin in England named Edna which is of course quite useless!

She obviously descended from either a MCCULLOUGH line or a COX line but I do not know which.

I have heard a chinese whisper in the family that one McCullough, James(my great gradnfather) came to Australia from Ireland (1854)and another brother went to America (details unknown)so I am inclined to think that she came from the McCullough line.

Her married name was RATTAY married to a Fred. She lived in California and although I have a 1995 letter I fear she has now passed away. She speaks of having two brothers

She had a brother Lyman who was born in 1895 and died in 1981. He lived in Salido Colorado.

Now I realize that I have given very little useful information but am hoping that the USA experts may find either a voyage by a McCullough from County Down Ireland around 1850 or a useful birth of a Lyman ? in 1895 Or details of a death of Lyman in 1981
    Hopeless? Probably, but you never now.
    PS Not sure if this should be in the USA thread but it is a brick wall!

Edith Rennie is Edith Jane Friend born abt Feb 1859 in Brighton, Sussex, England
    She was the daughter of Jacob Friend and Mary Prescott (married Dover 1846)
    Her brother John Henry Friend married Agnes Rennie the sister of her husband John Rennie

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast