Thread: New to Brit-Gen

George Gamble

Post New to Brit-Gen

Hello
    I’ve retired from a enjoying a lifetime in the book industry. I started researching my family history about 18 months ago by asking my near relations to give me any dates and names they could remember. The tree is growing well, and I’ve gone back about 120 years, and am really enjoying the research. I’m hooked you might say. One family surname is an anagram of another surname; I didn’t see that one coming.
    I’ve lots of branches to follow, in Wales and Ireland, and I’m sure that I’ll enjoy the quest, wish me luck please.
    Best wishes
    George

George Gamble

Hello
    Many thanks for your comforting words, much appreciated.
    Sometimes it's easy to forget that we're all one family on this planet.

Colin Rowledge

Hi George

Welcome!!!

Like you, I'm retired and as well my background into researching my family tree started in a similar fashion. When I started it was just Middlesex/London, Redruth, Cornwall and Portland Oregon, USA. Now it encompasses other countries in Europe, as well as Australia, New Zealand and other states in the U.S.

I mustn't forget my wife's side which I'm also attempting, which is from Wales, Ireland and Austria. Her maiden name was Jones from Swansea, and that has been a struggle.

It is fun and very addictive. I really feel like an 'armchair tourist'..

Cheers

George Gamble

Hello Colin
    Many thanks for your good wishes, much appreciated.
    I live about 40 miles east of Swansea. My wife also has a Jones, born about 1856, in her family but from the Rhondda Valley, therefore probably no relation. My side is from the North of Ireland, and moved to Wales.
    You sound as if you're very experienced, but if I can help with a Swansea Jones peep into the census, please let me know.
    I'm not very swift at finding things yet, but will try.
    Cheers

George Gamble

I see you live near Truro, a lovely part of the country. I was in the book trade for many years and had much pleasure in visiting bookshops all over Cornwall.
    Cheers

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by George Gamble View Post
    Hello Colin

You sound as if you're very experienced,
    Cheers
    Not really as some members here will attest to.

Colin