Thread: Baptism needed.

alfier

Default Baptism needed.

Can someone assist with how to find parents of a convict transported to NSW. WILLIAM MATTHEWS was convicted at the Old Bailey, 11 Dec 1817 and transported to NSW for 7 year at the age of 19. He later married JANE DAVIS,a common law marriage, in 1834. The transport was the MORLEY arriving 17 Nov 1818. To all at Brit-Gen i take the opportunity to wish you a very Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by alfier View Post
    WILLIAM MATTHEWS was convicted at the Old Bailey, 11 Dec 1817 and transported to NSW for 7 year at the age of 19.
    The proceedings of the Old Bailey have details of the trial of a William Mathews, aged 22, on 3 December 1817.

He and Charles Baker were convicted of stealing a pair of boots and two shawls from a house in Cartwright Street, Westminster, on 14 November. Police officer James Bly 'apprehended the prisoners, on the Monday after the robbery, together, in the same house'. Unfortunately there's no clue as to where this house was.

After the trial, William was presumably held in prison until the date of the Morley's departure. It might be worth investigating whether any prison records have survived, in case they give any clues as to his origins.

Mutley

This biography about William Davies also seems to include your William Mathews.
    Scroll down to about paragraph 16.
    https://www.
    historyaustralia.org.au/ifhaa/bios/davis.htm

I did not read on to the end so I don't know if it answers your question but the writer may be a descendant so possibly further information could be available. It does say he had nine children with a Jane Kingsbury.

Mutley

Searching for more information by the author of the link given above, it does seem that he is related to William Mathews.
    Here he says William was born in 1799 in London, the son of Richard Matthews and Mary Tabrain.
    William died 22 May 1866.

https://www.
    topiccraze.com/topic?topic=genealogyaustral

Mutley

Alfier, Certificates are not available until after registration started in 1837. You would be looking for a baptism record for William.
    If you would like the thread moved to another board and maybe the title changed, please ask and one of the moderators will be pleased to do it for you.

Mutley

London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812

There is a Christening of a William Thomas Mathews on 24 Feb 1796 at St Andrew, Holborn to Richard and Mary Matthews. The address was Red Lion Street.

alfier

I am agreeable as the objective is to apply for some proof of birth for William and knowledge of his parents. I am thankful for all the information I receive.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by alfier View Post
    I am agreeable as the objective is to apply for some proof of birth for William and knowledge of his parents. I am thankful for all the information I receive.
    OK, I have changed the title from Certificate needed to Baptism needed. I have moved the thread from Certificates to Church Registers.

I've had a quick look and though Mat(t)hews is a common name Tabrain does not seem to be.

I would really suggest you attempt to find the author of the articles, his name is easy to find through google.
    Where did he get the name of Mary Tabrain as William's mother from?

alfier

Thankyou, Coromandel, The story of the offence fits with our records, however the difference in the dates could be a trouble unless, as it seems, they often transcribed errors. Mutley also gave being associated with William Davis this is true,Jane davis had 9 children but I do believe only 1 was from the marriage with Kingsbury as she took up with William Matthews before 1834 and they lived together as common law man and wife, from this all the children took the surname Matthews. So many thanks to everyone who so kindly gives their time to assist with these curly questions.