Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    grahamwilk

Default No Fathers Names!!!

I have traced my tree back to my g g g grandparents and have recently obtained their marriage certificate (1848) the disappointing thing is neither seemed to know their fathers names! or place of birth (other than Lincolnshire) I have checked the original register at Lincs Archives and the entry spaces are blank too. I can only assume both g g g grandparents were born illegitimate. If I can find their baptism records in the parish registers would they give their mothers names? Any thoughts and advise very welcome.

Thanks Graham.

Jan1954

Hello Graham,

Yes, it should show the mother's name in the parish registers and, if you are lucky, there may be some indication of the father's name as in "purported son of XXXX" or "bastard son of YYYYY". If the baptisms are likely to have taken place after 1813, please have a read of this.

However, first you need to nail the birthplace in order to cut down on which registers in which to search for any baptisms.

grahamwilk

I have approx years of birth (1828 and 1829) as they appear on the 1851 census, no places of birth other than Lincs. I have started to check parish records for places close to where the marriage took place but it could be one of hundreds!

Thanks Graham.

sueannbowen

Any clues in later census Graham? Have you looked on IGI for likely suspects? I am sure you have but...... you could give us a name as a taster (or tester!) if you like

grahamwilk

the couple in question were Joseph Wilkinson bn 1828 appx and Eliza Laughton bn 1829 appx. according to the 1851 census both were born in Lincolnshire (somewhere!) they married at Limber Magna (N Lincs) they had a son Thomas in 1849. Thomas appears again on the 1881 census, but none of them in 1861 or 1871! Many thanks for your offer of help

Graham.

Colin Rowledge

There was a Joseph Wilkinson on the 1841 census [born c. 1826] with a brother Thomas and a father John. They were living at Grantham on the High Street. This Joseph was unmarried in 1851 and was a butcher [like his father]. He can be eliminated as he was married by 1861 and had no children named Thomas

How about the Joseph on the 1841 census who has a rounded birth year of 1830? The address was Snitterby which is in the registration district of Caistor. His father was Joseph. Ref. is H0107/P.644/B./F.11/5/Page5. Crown copyright TNA

All the others between 1826 and 1830 are not living with parents.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamwilk View Post
    the couple in question were Joseph Wilkinson bn 1828 appx and Eliza Laughton bn 1829 appx. according to the 1851 census both were born in Lincolnshire (somewhere!) they married at Limber Magna (N Lincs) they had a son Thomas in 1849. Thomas appears again on the 1881 census, but none of them in 1861 or 1871! Many thanks for your offer of help

Graham.
    the 1841 censs has two Eliza Laughton/Lawton living in Lincolnshire the first is the nearest match
    Address: Ferry, Owston 1841

LAUGHTON, Rosamond F 42 1799 Lincolnshire IND
    LAUGHTON, Mary Am F 15 1826 Lincolnshire
    LAUGHTON, Eliza F 15 1826 Lincolnshire
    LAUGHTON, Harriett F 12 1829 Lincolnshire

Address: Bucknall, Bucknall

WARE, Thomas M 50 1791 Lincolnshire
    WARE, Mary F 45 1796 Lincolnshire
    WARE, Martha F 15 1826 Lincolnshire
    WARE, Susanah F 5 1836 Lincolnshire
    SCOT, William M 20 1821 Lincolnshire
    LAWTON, Eliza F 15 1826 Lincolnshire

Peanut

sueannbowen

This might be Joseph and Eliza in the 1861

RG9 2368:38:4
    His birthplace is given as Goulceby Lincoln
    and Eliza's is Walmsgate

they are living with a son william aged 1. He is an ag lab

grahamwilk

Thanks to everyone, unfortunately all your suggestions have already been ruled out! I may have found Joseph on IGI though, how comprehensive are the records on IGI ?

Thanks again Graham.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by grahamwilk View Post
    I may have found Joseph on IGI though, how comprehensive are the records on IGI ?
    Have a read of this sticky, which explains about the IGI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast