Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    whdsn

Default looking for baptism

I'm looking for the baptism of Jane Nekerwise abt 1760-65. she married in Sancreed 1781 to James Tonkin.They had children in St Just in Penwith. There is a baptism in St Just 17 sep 1763 but i can't work the name out.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

A direct link to the entry you've found, or at the very least, precisely where you've found it, and reference numbers (e.g. image number) saves other people a lot of bother trying to find it. Luckily for you, I only had to have two guesses as to the image number.
    I'm no expert on that style of handwriting, but perhaps other people are.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....H-VPL:n6497062

Pam

jack66

hello where abouts is St Just in Penwith ?, where does it say she was baptised,

I forgot to say that I checked the Cornwall OPC. https://www.
    cornwall-opc-database.org/index.php

St Just in Penwith baptisms for 1763 have been transcribed but nothing came up for Nekerwise or a simliar surname in 1763.
    Similarly nothing came up for Jane, though when I searched purely on the first name of Margery, I got the result for Margery Bennetts, the entry previous to the one you're looking at on that image.

ETA: Just realised that I can search on father's forename. That brings up the result of John Nekerwis, but the name of the child is blank.

Pam

Brick wall demolition expert!

Good find with the image Pam.

Father's surname definitely looks like NEKERWIS but the child's name is illegible.

Edit: have tried various enhancements of the image in Photoshop but it hasn't helped.

jack66

hello, there are a few jane nekerwise christenings on igi site,
    1st june 1759
    29th sept 1752
    12th may 1752
    all christened in St. Just Penwith

whdsn

Hi
    There is a baptism on image 44 from the link Pam give us for Loveday Daughter of John and Philadelphia not sure about the surname 17 jan 1762

Quote Originally Posted by whdsn View Post
    Hi
    There is a baptism on image 44 from the link Pam give us for Loveday Daughter of John and Philadelphia not sure about the surname 17 jan 1762
    See post #4 for how to find the surname. Or at least, what someone else thinks it might be.

One tip is that on the OPC site the parish name is entered as Just in Penwith, St

Pam

pippycat

Not much help, but there is a bap on fmp for a Son born to John Nekervis 17 Sept 1763 St Just in Penwith

Quote Originally Posted by whdsn View Post
    I'm looking for the baptism of Jane Nekerwise abt 1760-65. she married in Sancreed 1781 to James Tonkin.They had children in St Just in Penwith. There is a baptism in St Just 17 sep 1763 but i can't work the name out.
    Two words of caution.
    Do not make the mistake of assuming that every woman married when she was 21 or 22, and every man when he was 23/24. Many did; many didn't.
    Do not make the mistake of assuming that everyone was baptised within a month or so of being born. One of my ancestors was baptised about a week before his marriage.

Have you found James' burial? Work out his age at marriage to Jane. Jane may have been near him in age, rather than several years younger.

It might help if you could eliminate one or two of the Janes jack66 found in post # 6.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast