Thread: James Gaby

Quentin

Default James Gaby

I am looking to confirm parents for James Gaby born about 1808 in Wiltshire. I found on IGI a christening in 1813 in Bromham for James, son of James and Elizabeth. A marriage shows on IGI in 1832 at St Thomas's Bristol to Sarah Cook. Their children show as Ann,James Sarah, Elizabeth Francis & William. I cannot find James in the 1841 England Census, but his wife Sarah shows up as 'Gabey' with the family in this Census however, in 1851 Census James is a Pig Dealer and his age, I am sure,has been incorrectly transcribed as they have him born 1895. I can't find James & Sarah in the 1861 Census, and then in 1864 they emigrated to NZ. There appears to be lots of Gabys in Wiltshire, the possible parents James Gaby and Elizabeth Unknown seem to have appeared but I cannot fit them anywhere in a family - I have looked at a few public trees but although a James born 1785 Bishops Canning could fit, my James 1808 is never mentioned as a family member. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.
    Quentin

Hi

Maybe a long shot but there is a will for a James Gaby 1832 Yeoman, Bishops Canning, Wiltshire, if this is the father of your James the one from the IGI, it may mention James the son and his family.
    This is from the Wiltshire Wills online you can buy the will on line and it is sent straight to your computer these wills are not expensive and I have had great results from the ones I have had

https://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/

Peanut

Quentin

Thank you Peanut for this suggestion and website - I'll do it right away. Kindest regards & thanks. Quentin

Quentin

Peanut - I could EAT you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so thrilled, that will is brilliant - he names his heirs and who they belong to - brother, sister etc!!!! I am going to be able to untangle lots of info. How amazing is technology - that one can sit at a computer on the other side of the world and read a will made almost two hundred years ago! Wonderful stuff. I thank you so much for answering my query - had almost given up hearing from anyone!
    Cheers, Quentin