Mutley

Default Ordering a Birth Cert. without a reference?

How exact must you be before the GRO will issue a birth certificate without a reference?

My nan was a Smith. I know she was born in 1900 but may have been registered in 1901.
    Her first name has several shortened versions any of which she may actually have been registered with.
    I know the area in London but not exactly which of the districts she was registered in.
    A few steps either way could put her in another district.

I know her father's name but he often used an abbreviation of his first name.
    I know her mother's maiden name but it was foreign and there are variations of the spelling also she may have used both her first names or only one of them.

I know so much (I've taken her family back to the 1700s) but have yet to get nan's birth certificate because there are so many possibles.
    It is my New Year resolution to finally get to grips with it and sort it.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    How exact must you be before the GRO will issue a birth certificate without a reference?
    Looking at the order form ...

Mandatory fields
    Surname at birth *
    Forename(s) *
    Date of birth (dd/mm/yyyy)*
    (If you do not know the exact date enter 01/01/1901, we will search the specified year and one either side)
    Place of birth*

Optional fields (to use as checking points)
    Father’s/Parent’s surname
    Father’s/Parent’s forename(s)
    Mother's maiden surname
    Mother's surname at time of the birth
    Mother's forename(s)

In your case, I would enter Mother's maiden surname as the checking point, as it's so unusual. You could enter it as 'XXXXXXXX or similar', hoping they would pick up any spelling variants.

For the Place of birth, it's best to stick to a registration district. I appreciate there's more than one possibility, but you might need to have several tries at it, e.g. St Saviour, Lambeth, Camberwell. Remember that Southwark wasn't created as a registration district until 1 April 1901.

It could take a few attempts, and lots of patience, but you can't lose any money, so I'd Go for It.

Mutley

What about her forename, being as it is mandatory? Elizabeth, Lizzie, Liz?

But OK thanks, I will start to try all the combinations.....
    I will draw up a table and enter each variation that I try and the result, the GRO may get so fed up with a constant barrage of efforts they will roll over and do a proper search. (I am sure I just saw a pink pig fly past my window)

Happy New Year

From this post in your other thread, she was baptised at St Giles Workhouse in Camberwell, so there's a very high chance she was born in that institution.

I would start with a Lizzie SMITH in Camberwell RD, and move on from there if necessary. Maybe you will get it first time?

Happy New Year, and let's hope it's a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    From this post in your other thread, she was baptised at St Giles Workhouse in Camberwell
    Checking the image of the baptism register, I see she wasn't actually baptised in the Workhouse, but at the church of St Giles Camberwell on 11 Jan 1900, with the abode given as Workhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I know she was born in 1900 but may have been registered in 1901.
    The date of birth is given in the baptism register as 30 Dec 1899. She will surely have been registered in Mar Qtr 1900. I would go for one of these ...

Births
    Mar Qtr 1900
    SMITH Lizzie Camberwell 1d 878
    SMITH Lizzie Camberwell 1d 870

(A check of the original GRO index page confirms there are two separate entries)

Mutley

Thanks,
    I'll try ordering without a reference as you suggested in post #4, might as well give it a try.
    and if at first I don't succeed....

Keep you informed