Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Default Windermere,Westmeath,Ireland

Folks,
    This is shown as place of birth on 1851 census but i feel it should read Windermere,Westmorland as ages etc tie in with my family.I have not been able to find Windermere in Ireland via google maps or google earth and Genuki,am i correct in assuming no such place exists?
    Regards,
    Eric

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi Eric.

If this relates to the place of birth for Jane BARTON or Ann BUTCHER, (HO107/1973, f.740, p.54), then looking at the image the place of birth is clearly...

Westmorl^d Windermere
    (the raised d in Westmorl^d and the short line underneath indicate the place name has been abbreviated.)

This would be Windermere, in Westmorland. There is no mention of Ireland it is just that Westmorl^d has been mistakenly transcribed as Westmeath and Ireland assumed as the country.

once again the disadvantage of transcribers who don't know the geography of the area they are transcribing and a perfect example of why it is essential to always look at the original source and not to rely totally on transcriptions.

The transcripts are a wonderful searching aid but it is so important to look at original images too.

Sorry, I'll climb down off my soap box now.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

I was so confident that my assumption was correct that i have already updated the Ancestry record.It looked to me as if the enumerator had tried to abbreviate Westmorland and failed.
    Ladykis, i posted yesterday how wonderful some census returns were so i guess this is the other side of the penny.
    Thank you both,
    Eric

Reputation beyond repute

It looked to me as if the enumerator had tried to abbreviate Westmorland and failed.
    I wouldn't have said that. The enumerator has clearly written "Westmorel(d) Windermere". I don't see anything that looks the slightest bit like "Ireland". It is purely an Ancestry transcription error. Findmypast had no trouble transcribing the entry correctly.

As Ladykis is off the soapbox, I'll clamber up and issue my new year plea for everyone to use indexes as finding aids and not ends in themselves.

I was merely asking if there was a Windermere in Ireland not basing my tree on one census entry.Gap now filled.
    Eric