Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Thanks Ken,

Yes this is the basic issue.

Is the year wrong - as there are no BTs for 1696-7 at all. Or is it the film number in which case.... where to look?
    It certainly a serious head scratcher and annoying as I am fairly certain John is my direct ancestor.....

And no he isn't in Somerleyton

Ken_R

The only other thing that I can think of is that perhaps when it was photographed from the Fische, someone missed an image. Or the image didn't come out.

Did the LDS compile the Index/Entry from the Film or the Fische? That we don't know and is a question that would be very difficult to determine.

Is the Fische still available and......at this juncture, where to find a Reader?

I've done a search on the name + parents to find any possible siblings, which might have given us something useful but, zilch!

Fancy a holiday, next Summer, searching Norwich Archives? I've heard its a nice City to visit.

Hang on. I went to Norwich....once. Many years ago. Can't say that I saw much of the place.

Reputation beyond repute

So far as I can see, this record has been picked up from the old BVRI. This was a CD that the Mormons used to sell and served as an addendum to the IGI. It's no longer sold and the contents is available free on the FamilySearch site and also on Ancestry and Findmypast.

That's how it propagated around various sites but what was the origin?

There are some clues in this listing of the BVRI coverage. Unfortunately the film number mapping is incomplete.

https://www.genoot.com/downloads/BVRI...Birth-Coll.pdf

The only listed parish without film numbers is Dunston. I don't know if that's a clue or not. I haven't got a definitive list of parishes in the Archdeaconry of Norfolk.

I assume you're not taking the FamilySearch people's word for it. Personally, I would order the film and simply plough through the Archdeaconry of Norfolk section.

If someone happened to have a copy of the Dunston PR transcript to hand, perhaps they could do a quick check, otherwise I don't think you'd want to put too much money on Dunston

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Norfolk FHS have transcriptions for Dunston baptisms 1557-1930 online in the NFHS members area.
    No John Palfriman (+ variants) in Dunston or any of the other online parishes (some of them Norwich). 1694-1698.

Pam

Hi Folks, many thanks for the information.
    One thing that puzzles me is is would you expect there to be a Bishops Transcript in 1696? Familysearch have a gap from 1691 to 1697 on the Norfolk Bishops Transcripts section?
    What I am now going to do is look at the 165 entries from 1696 on the film/batch combination and see if I can find entries elsewhere - I know some are on freereg - and see what parishes it produces.
    Will update.
    Many thanks for the input it has been VERY helpful.

Mitch

Pam,
    that is a positive as I expect a result in mid or west Norfolk. Foulden, Tottenhill, Hillington(Lynn) or even Bawdeswell would be helpful.
    Ruling out Dunston was great.
    Thanks

Mitch

Found the parish register Foulden, struggling to read it - bottom line PALFRIMAN

undefined

palfriman Willm son of Gilbert July 21. 1700?. In which case it is a brother for my John.

Delighted to say I have now found the 1696 Baptism in the Bishops Transcripts, in the 1698-9 section, which contains entries labelled 'Foulden 1693-1699', which end in 1698!! Fairly confident that this John is my ancestor, but have no way to prove the connection between this baptism and the baptisms of his children in the 1730s .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12