RobinC

Default Thomas Wetherell born 1821 in Beedon

Thomas was born as the title of the thread states but appears to have been born illegitimately with his mother being listed as Hannah Wetherell.

I believe that Thomas's father may have been Richard Jemmelt but the only evidence I have for this is the co-incidence that Hannah married Richard in Beedon on the 31st March 1826.

This was obviously a considerable time after Thomas was born so I have two questions which I may never know the answer of.

1. Was Thomas the son of Richard or another man?

2. Did Richard and Hannah have any other children, either before or after their marriage?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Jemmelt is as I am sure you know a very unusual name.

There are only two births between 1837-2006 and that was George in Cookham, Berkshire in 1864 and Mary Ann in Windsor in 1864. There was only one marriage in the same period which was Ann Martha in Bloomsbury in 1844

There is one family in the 1891 census living in Faversham, Kent.

There are various parish records on the family search site - https://www.familysearch.org/

Going back to your original question about who Thomas’s father was, if it does not say in his baptism record, then I doubt that you will ever find out for sure.

RobinC

It might be possible that George & Mary Ann could be related to Richard Jemmelt but other than the fact he married Hannah, I know nothing else about him.

I haven't seen Thomas's baptism record (if he had one) as Berkshire BMD's don't appear to be online yet and I haven't been able to get to Reading to check in person.

I can't find George or Mary Ann in any censuses.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Isn't JEMMETT more likely?

FamilySearch shows a baptism for Laura Matilda Jemmett WETHERELL on 9 Jan 1825 in Sonning, daughter of Hannah.

The BRO will send you a printout of any Berkshire parish register entry for very modest cost, cheaper than visiting yourself. .

RobinC

With Kerrywood's insight to suggest the surname Jemmett, I searched again and found the following:

Ellen Mary Jemmett - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Christening: 30 JUL 1826 Berks And, , Oxford, England

2. Emma Selina Jemmett - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Christening: 01 AUG 1830 Berks And, , Oxford, England

3. Clara Elizabeth Jemmett - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Christening: 04 JAN 1835 Berks And, , Oxford, England

All born to Richard and Hannah, unfortunately though it doesn't give a distinct location for any of the births.

RobinC

Following on, there is this family which matches the above information:

William Waite 28
    Hannah Waite 46
    Clara Jemmett 16
    Henry Jemmett 14
    Emily Jemmett 8

Class: HO107; Piece: 1725; Folio: 337; Page: 19

census reference copyright of TNA

Hannah's birthplace is listed as Compton which is not that far away from Beedon.

There are two death registrations for Richard Jemmett:

Deaths Dec 1845
    JEMMETT Richard Henley on T 16 50

Deaths Jun 1846
    Jemmett Richard Henley T 16 5_

And it appears Hannah married again in 1846:

Marriages Sep 1846
    Jemmett Hannah Wokingham 6 425
    Waight William Wokingham 6 425

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    unfortunately though it doesn't give a distinct location for any of the births.
    If you use the new FamilySearch site instead of the IGI, I think you'll find proper source references for these baptisms (and more besides), in Sonning.

https://www.
    familysearch.org/

RobinC

Clara Elizabeth married George Newman and in 1881, they had a 2 year old nephew named William B G Crouch with them.

Now I think that it's unlikely they were related to my branch of the Crouch family but I only know of the offspring of Robert Crouch (1787) but there could be a connection from the offspring of Robert's siblings.

What a find that would be if I could prove it.

RobinC

Having looked into it, William B G's father seems to have been born in Lancashire.