Thread: AlanD - intro

disuebailey777

Default AlanD - intro

Just joined as very much a green learner - only been at the family history game for a few months and have already made a lot of the same mistakes described in the website intro notes! However, am getting better at spotting transcription errors and other confusing non-facts that are openly given credence by some of the commercial sites.
    To be fair, have found most fairly straghtforward and willing to help.
    My interests, naturally, focus on my own ancestors and it has certainly been an interesting voyage so far.
    My particular "name" interests are:
    Dummer: Wiltshire - Dover - Cambs.
    Docwra: Cambs so far
    Spanner: I.O.W. - Kent.
    Little: Canada - Weymouth - West Sussex
    Urry: Greater London - Portsmouth - West Sussex

Having, I hope, produced a bare bones name/date/location type family tree, back to late 1700's, I'm looking forward to putting some real life flesh on the skeleton.
    Having spent most of my adult life in the RN, I have been very surprised to see that G/Grandad Grandad and Father all spent considerable periods in the services. I knew something of Fathers career (though not much) but nothing at all about the rest.
    Maternal Grandad even spent some (so far unspecified) time in a Cambs prison.
    Have found the county family history societies a very good source of both info and assistance.
    Look forward to more interesting contacts via this forum
    AlanD

Allanah

Hi Alan
    Not to worry, I still feel green after 10 years of researching.........Lots of help on the site.

Allanah

Mutley

Good Luck Alan.
    We will look forward to joining you in the battle to find 'those that went before'

Best wishes

Flora1966

Hello Alan, Welcome to Brit-Gen....