Aussie Shep

Default Birth Certificate for Helen Jolley Ludlow

Hello I have received my ancestors Birth certificate and I am having trouble reading it.
    Registration District: Saint Pancras, Sub District of Camden Town in the County of Middlesex.

Date of Birth: 7 April 1842
    then it saids 11 and half something 10 Houttland Terrace.
    I have tried to find the address in the Saint Pancras Registration District for 1841 & 1851 but nothing is coming up?
    By the Census for 1851 her address is 24 Charrington St Marylebone St Pancras.

Also her name is recorded on the birth certificate as Helen Jolley. Her father was Samuel Ludlow a Gold Laceman and mother is Ann Jolley Ludlow Formerly Ludlow?
    How come they did not write her surname Ludlow?

https://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...udlowBirth.jpg

https://s584.photobucket.com/albums/s...udlowBirth.jpg
    Can someone confirm the above points for me. thanks.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Shep View Post
    Hello I have received my ancestors Birth certificate and I am having trouble reading it.
    Registration District: Saint Pancras, Sub District of Camden Town in the County of Middlesex.

Date of Birth: 7 April 1842
    then it saids 11 and half something 10 Houttland Terrace.
    First of all, looking at the address. My interpretation is...

Column 1
    Seventh of April 1842 11 1/2 am 10 Hartland Terrace

Column 7
    A J Ludlow 10 Hartland Terace Kentish Town Road Mother

Also her name is recorded on the birth certificate as Helen Jolley. Her father was Samuel Ludlow a Gold Laceman and mother is Ann Jolley Ludlow Formerly Ludlow?
    How come they did not write her surname Ludlow?
    For any standard England/Wales birth certificate, only the first and middle names of a child are recorded in column 2. A surname is never included in this column. This is because a child's surname is assumed to be the same as that of the parents. If the surname of the mother and father is different, then the child might assume either surname. In this specific case, since the surname of both the mother and the father is recorded as LUDLOW, then you can take this to be the child's surname as well.

Aussie Shep

Thankyou olliecat, Hartland Terrace, Kentish Town Road I can see it now.

With Column 1 does that mean she was born @ 11.30?

Thankyou olliecat, Hartland Terrace, Kentish Town Road I can see it now.

With Column 1 does that mean she was born @ 11.30?
    If my interpretation is correct, then yes it does. Usually when a time of birth is recorded this indicates that the child is a twin (or a triplet etc.) However, in early days of civil registration (which commenced in mid 1837), some registrars would record a time of birth anyway, even if the child was not one of a multiple birth.

The only thing that perturbs me a teeny bit is the 1/2. Looking through my own collection of birth certificates where a time is recorded, I haven’t got any written in terms of fractions. However, I would still say it is the time 11 1/2 meaning 11:30 am. I’m sure other members will be along and will post their interpretations.

If you want to read more about the information recorded in each column of a birth certificate, see here...

https://
    home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm

RonOne

Without first reading the other replies on this thread:

(Commas added for readability only)

Column 1: Seventh April 1842, 11 1/2 am, 10 Hartland Terrace
    Column 2: Hellen Jolley
    Column 3: Girl
    Column 4: Samuel Ludlow
    Column 5: Ann Jolley Ludlow formerly Ludlow
    Column 6: Gold & silver laceman
    Column 7: A J Ludlow, 10 Hartland Terrace, ? Town Road, mother
    Column 8: nineteenth of May 1842
    Column 9: Joseph Curtis, Registrar

Note: Times written in column 1 usually indicate multiple births, but this is not always true during the early years of registration when some registrars recorded a time on every birth they registered. Multiple births can usually be confimed by searching the indexes using the same surname, registration district, year, quarter and volume number, as multiple births would normally have been registered at the same time they should have the same or consecutive page numbers.

Aussie Shep

Note: Times written in column 1 usually indicate multiple births, but this is not always true during the early years of registration when some registrars recorded a time on every birth they registered. Multiple births can usually be confimed by searching the indexes using the same surname, registration district, year, quarter and volume number, as multiple births would normally have been registered at the same time they should have the same or consecutive page numbers.
    RonOne I have rechecked the birth index for April May June 1842 and there is only one Ludlow recorded for St Pancras.

I did look at the Deaths for April May June 1842 St Pancras there is no record of a Ludlow; However there is a Thomas Ludlow Dec 1842 but no age is recorded. So maybe the registrar just recorded the time.
    Last edited by Mutley; 12-12-2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: corrected quote

RonOne

So maybe the registrar just recorded the time.
    It would appear so. With an uncommon name it's sometimes easier to just look at the scan on FreeBMD (click the spectacles icon), all the 1842 June 1/4 Ludlow births appear on the same scan and there is only the one birth reg in St Pancras, which is the one you have.