Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Marriage cert query.

A couple of years ago I bought a copy of my GGG grandparents marriage cert. They were married in 1841 at St James Church in London. My first query is....the occupations of both Fathers is given as 'Gentleman'. One was a Gamekeeper, the other I know nothing about. They weren't wealthy. So were they just trying to be posh? My second query is.... the cert is typed, so obviously not a genuine copy. I have lots of certs and none have been typed, even the ones that are difficult to read. I probably should have queried it at the time, but didn't. Any ideas on why it is typed. Thanks.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I have one or two certificates with "Gentleman" I know on 2 of them they were both retired Licensed victullars....I think it just means they have enough money to live on and no need to work!!
    I also have some that have been typed but am not sure of reason for that.....it may have been because they wouldnt copy well.

sandie

Reputation beyond repute

"Gentleman" meant whatever the person providing the information (ie the bride and groom) wanted it to mean. Some people seemed to use it as a synonym for "retired". A tendency to overstate the father's occupation is well known and part of the general unreliability of fathers' details on marriage certificates.

Where was the typed certificate obtained from? The origin is stated on the certificate. These days, GRO tend to issue typed certificates only if a print from microfilm is unreadable. A typed copy may be more likely from a local register office depending on the technology available in the office.