Davy H

Default Not quite a brickwall

Need a fresh pair of eyes for this. Where to start? See below.

William James Valley born Muirhall, West Calder, Scotland on the 6th Feb 1894 Son of William Vallely and Mary Daly. W J Vallely marries Mary Kathleen Dunne in Jul 1934 in Glasgow.

W J Vallely married twice. His second wife, Mary Kathleen Dunne, was born in Dublin City, Ireland abt1903 to parents William Dunne, shoemaker, and Margaret Hart.

W J Vallely was the third husband of Mary Kathleen Dunne. So far so good. All backed up by certificates.

Starting with M J Dunne's first husband, one James Wylie. This is where things go a little strange. His death in 1924 at 62 Hamiltonhill Road, Glasgow, Scotland states him as a Shipyard labourer and Army Pensioner. Parents are James Wylie, Pastry Baker, deceased, and Jane Wylie now Mitchell m/s McVean. (A James Wylie, Pastry Baker dies in Glasgow 24th Jun 1911 and lists his wife as Jane McVean.) Looked for a James Wylie born abt1895 on ancestry's Military Records and found one. Gives his age as 18yrs and 292 days old, a Rivett Holder. Attestment date 29th Apr 1914. Next of kin are his mother Jane, brothers Alexander and Peter, sister Agnes. All at Portugal Street, Glasgow.

There Is a James Wylie born in 41 James Street, Carlton, Glasgow 7th Jul 1895 to parents James Alexander Wylie, a Pastry Baker, and a Jane McBean who married 18th Sep 1891 in Glasgow. Also a sister, Agnes, born same day to same parents, same address. This Agnes dies some six weeks later at 41 James Street, Glasgow.

Another Agnes Wylie is born in 1900, 12 Jun. Parents are listed as James Wylie, Baker, Journeyman and Jane McVean. Married 5th Sep 1891, Glasgow. Also a Peter McVean Wylie born 2nd November 1904, Glasgow, to parents James Alexander Campbell Wylie, Pastry Baker, Journeyman and Jane McVean. Marriage date listed as 5th September 1891

Back to James Wylie marriage to M K Dunne. On the marriage cert it states parents for James as James Wylie, a Baker, deceased, and Agnes McVey. Marriage date is Jul 1919 and given ages are 22 and 16. Parents of M K Dunne are William Dunne, shoemaker, and Margaret Hart.

Second husband to M K Dunne is Alexander Wylie. November 1924. Parents listed for Alexander are James Wylie, Baker, deceased, and Jean McVey. Address for Alexander is given as 62 Hamiltonhill Road. (same address of death for James Wylie) Parents for M K Wylie m/s Dunne, widow, are William Dunne, shoemaker, and Margaret Hart.

There is an Alexander McVean Campbell Wylie born 4th Apr 1903, Sydney Street, Glasgow. To parents James Wylie, Pastry Baker, Journeyman and Jane McVean. Marriage date 9th Sep 1891, Glasgow.
    The death of Alexander a Hardware Dealer, married to Mary Wylie or Dunne on the 26th Apr 1931 lists parents as James Wylie, Pastry Baker, deceased, and Jane Wylie now King m/s McVean.

Back to James Wylie b1895 d1924. The Attestment Sheet looked at also states that he married a Catherine Ferguson daughter of Luke Ferguson and Mary McShane. Marriage date 12th Oct 1915 at Kilmarnock. James a private KOSB's age 20. Parents listed as James Wylie, Rivitter, deceased and Jane McVean(possibly McBean. Difficult to make out) The entry is registered as James but there is only the initial J. Catherine Ferguson dies in 1960 and it states her parents as Luke Ferguson and Mary McShane. Also lists she was the widow of a John Wylie, General Labourer. Can't find a marriage for a John Wylie to a Catherine Ferguson.

I'm missing something and can't put my finger on it. I have other certs etc for related Wylie's which just throw up more anomolies.

Anyone wish to have a look?

Cheers, Dave.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Davy H View Post
    Need a fresh pair of eyes for this. Where to start? See below.

William James Valley born Muirhall, West Calder, Scotland on the 6th Feb 1894 Son of William Vallely and Mary Daly. W J Vallely marries Mary Kathleen Dunne in Jul 1934 in Glasgow.

W J Vallely married twice. His second wife, Mary Kathleen Dunne, was born in Dublin City, Ireland abt1903 to parents William Dunne, shoemaker, and Margaret Hart.

W J Vallely was the third husband of Mary Kathleen Dunne. So far so good. All backed up by certificates.

Starting with M J Dunne's first husband, one James Wylie. This is where things go a little strange. His death in 1924 at 62 Hamiltonhill Road, Glasgow, Scotland states him as a Shipyard labourer and Army Pensioner. Parents are James Wylie, Pastry Baker, deceased, and Jane Wylie now Mitchell m/s McVean. (A James Wylie, Pastry Baker dies in Glasgow 24th Jun 1911 and lists his wife as Jane McVean.) Looked for a James Wylie born abt1895 on ancestry's Military Records and found one. Gives his age as 18yrs and 292 days old, a Rivett Holder. Attestment date 29th Apr 1914. Next of kin are his mother Jane, brothers Alexander and Peter, sister Agnes. All at Portugal Street, Glasgow.

There Is a James Wylie born in 41 James Street, Carlton, Glasgow 7th Jul 1895 to parents James Alexander Wylie, a Pastry Baker, and a Jane McBean who married 18th Sep 1891 in Glasgow. Also a sister, Agnes, born same day to same parents, same address. This Agnes dies some six weeks later at 41 James Street, Glasgow.

Another Agnes Wylie is born in 1900, 12 Jun. Parents are listed as James Wylie, Baker, Journeyman and Jane McVean. Married 5th Sep 1891, Glasgow. Also a Peter McVean Wylie born 2nd November 1904, Glasgow, to parents James Alexander Campbell Wylie, Pastry Baker, Journeyman and Jane McVean. Marriage date listed as 5th September 1891

Back to James Wylie marriage to M K Dunne. On the marriage cert it states parents for James as James Wylie, a Baker, deceased, and Agnes McVey. Marriage date is Jul 1919 and given ages are 22 and 16. Parents of M K Dunne are William Dunne, shoemaker, and Margaret Hart.

Second husband to M K Dunne is Alexander Wylie. November 1924. Parents listed for Alexander are James Wylie, Baker, deceased, and Jean McVey. Address for Alexander is given as 62 Hamiltonhill Road. (same address of death for James Wylie) Parents for M K Wylie m/s Dunne, widow, are William Dunne, shoemaker, and Margaret Hart.

There is an Alexander McVean Campbell Wylie born 4th Apr 1903, Sydney Street, Glasgow. To parents James Wylie, Pastry Baker, Journeyman and Jane McVean. Marriage date 9th Sep 1891, Glasgow.
    The death of Alexander a Hardware Dealer, married to Mary Wylie or Dunne on the 26th Apr 1931 lists parents as James Wylie, Pastry Baker, deceased, and Jane Wylie now King m/s McVean.

Back to James Wylie b1895 d1924. The Attestment Sheet looked at also states that he married a Catherine Ferguson daughter of Luke Ferguson and Mary McShane. Marriage date 12th Oct 1915 at Kilmarnock. James a private KOSB's age 20. Parents listed as James Wylie, Rivitter, deceased and Jane McVean(possibly McBean. Difficult to make out) The entry is registered as James but there is only the initial J. Catherine Ferguson dies in 1960 and it states her parents as Luke Ferguson and Mary McShane. Also lists she was the widow of a John Wylie, General Labourer. Can't find a marriage for a John Wylie to a Catherine Ferguson.

I'm missing something and can't put my finger on it. I have other certs etc for related Wylie's which just throw up more anomolies.

Anyone wish to have a look?

Cheers, Dave.
    Hi Dave and welcome.

I've had a read and a think. Is it possible that James(b1895) married Catherine early in the war but never returned to her? (Thus making his second marriage bigamous) There is a marriage on SP in Kilmarnock in 1915 of a James Wylie to a Catherine Ferguson. Have you checked out the details on that? If not you should. There is also a birth of a male Wylie in Kilmarnock in 1916 which could be unrelated but may be worth checking. Who was the informant on Catherine's death cert? If her husband had never been around the informant may not have known his correct name.

Does James say that he is a bachelor in the wedding to Mary Dunne?

Many of the other anomalies - dates, spellings - seem more accidental somehow.

I'll think on...

Davy H

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Hi Dave and welcome.

I've had a read and a think. Is it possible that James(b1895) married Catherine early in the war but never returned to her? (Thus making his second marriage bigamous) There is a marriage on SP in Kilmarnock in 1915 of a James Wylie to a Catherine Ferguson. Have you checked out the details on that? If not you should. There is also a birth of a male Wylie in Kilmarnock in 1916 which could be unrelated but may be worth checking. Who was the informant on Catherine's death cert? If her husband had never been around the informant may not have known his correct name.

Does James say that he is a bachelor in the wedding to Mary Dunne?

Many of the other anomalies - dates, spellings - seem more accidental somehow.

I'll think on...
    Hi grisel,

thanks for having a look. Driving me nuts this one.

Yes have the cert of the 1915 wedding of Catherine Ferguson. It is the same as on the Attestant sheet. The informant at death in 1960 is a Robert ????, looks like Muldoon, hard to read, Nephew of 76 Stock Street, Paisley and place of death is 22 Clarence Street, Paisley.

On the wedding to M K Dunne he is listed as a bachelor, occupation Cigarette Maker.

The bigamy thing is what I have been thinking.

I'm trying to figure out if the soldier and M K Dunne's first husband are one in the same. Calculating from the birth date of 7 Jul 1895 to 29 Apr 1914 is 18yrs 9mth 22dys. On the Military record it is stated age as 18yrs 292dys.

I'll check out the birth you mention in Kilmarnock. BTW Catherine had a child prior to the 1915 marriage. Annie Sharkie McPeake also on the Attestment sheet it has Spinster crossed out and Widow written beneath.

There are even more odd dates, names palces further back with this Wylie family.

Dave.

frank47

Davy

Came across your post. Don't think I can solve your problem but the Jane Mcvean in your work is my great great grandmother's sister. I have been working on that line for a while and what I do know is that events in your post confirm the sort of convoluted lifestyle of that part of my tribe. Jean married 3 times that I know of, one husband being your James Wylie. It might be of use to talk.

JudyStrachan

So James Wylie, a young soldier, married Catherine Ferguson in 1915 at Kilmarnock, who was a widow with a child named Agnes McPeake. There's a marriage for Christopher McPeake and Catherine Ferguson in 1908 in Paisley which is probably them.

James Wylie then went off to war and in 1919 married Margaret Dunne, who was only 16, and he died in 1924. Later that year Margaret then married James' brother Alexander, who then died in 1931, so she then married for a third time to William Vallely. (Have I got that right?)

James' first wife Catherine Ferguson/McPeake/Wylie died in 1960 as the widow of John Wylie.

It does rather look like a case of bigamy. If he got caught and went to trial, there'd be a corrected entry for the second marriage (I have someone who did get caught and this is what happened) and could also be a report in a local newspaper. If there's no corrected entry then it's possible he got away with it.

Did James and Margaret Dunne have any children? If they did, it might be worth getting hold of a birth certificate and seeing what it says. Same for any possible children of James Wylie and Catherine Ferguson/McPeake.

Davy H

Sorry it took a while to get back here. Just moved house.

Thanks for the input. The Wylie family have confirmed that James Wyle may have married before being posted overseas so the bigamy idea is correct.

James and Margaret Dunne had no children and Catherine Ferguson had one child, Annie born in 1914. Her father, Christopher McPeake died in August 1915 in Paisley and had married Catherine Ferguson in 1908 in Paisley.

Frank47, pm'd you.

Thanks again for all the input.