Loves to help with queries

Default Applying for birth certificates.

I have been researching the family of Michael John Boyne and Louisa Clarke who lived in the St Georges area of Manchester. I have found 3 birth records that could possibly be their children ; John Boyne 1874 , Mary Josephine Boyne 1878 and Leah Boyne 1883 , all registered in the St George sub-district of Manchester . If I send for certificates and they are not my family members I have wasted my money as M/c register office no longer verify additional information eg parents name or addresses. Any suggestions how i can get round this problem ? The family don't feature in the 1881 census, so I can't check if they were together as a family.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi

You can order birth certificates through the GRO. If you order without supplying a GRO reference number then you can specify the parents’ names. The GRO will only issue a certificate if it matches the criteria you have specified; otherwise you will receive a full refund. Their standard service (when ordering without a GRO reference number) takes the GRO up to 3 weeks to process and costs £9.25 per certificate.

As for the Manchester register office, I have no personal experience with this office but as far as I am aware, any local register office that issues BMD's is obliged to offer the same service as the GRO. This means that they should have a facility whereby you can specify the parent's names when ordering a birth certificate.

Changes to family history certificate applications
    'Certificate applications received by this office will be searched on the basis of name, year and district of registration only. We are no longer able to verify additional information such as parents' names, occupations and street names before issuing a certificate.'
    Hi Olliecat
    The above quote is taken directly from the Manchester registration service web site.Doesn't sound very user friendly ? It will certainly make family history research more uncertain and expensive. Looks like i will have to use the GRO.

Allanah

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Hi

You can order birth certificates through the GRO. If you order without supplying a GRO reference number then you can specify the parents’ names. The GRO will only issue a certificate if it matches the criteria you have specified; otherwise you will receive a full refund. Their standard service (when ordering without a GRO reference number) takes the GRO up to 3 weeks to process and costs £9.25 per certificate.

As for the Manchester register office, I have no personal experience with this office but as far as I am aware, any local register office that issues BMD's is obliged to offer the same service as the GRO. This means that they should have a facility whereby you can specify the parent's names when ordering a birth certificate.
    This worked very well for me, I was looking for a marriage from 1900-1920 with a name that was popular. Never having ordered this way before they helped me put the search in and it was wonderful, the lady in question turned out never to have been married.... GRO refunded ALL of my search money paid to them. I say go through the GRO, fantastic service in my case.
    In my 10 years of family research I can't begin to tell you how many certificates I have ordered and it has always just been straight forward with ref numbers etc, but sometimes you need help.

Good luck
    Allanah

mfwebb

I wonder how many more local register offices are following the Manchester example. It is a long time since I ordered a certificate from a local office (probably well over 10 years) and then I found them extremely helpful and have commented on that in other threads. I now use the GRO exclusively but have never (yet) had occasion to order a certificate without the full GRO reference so am unable to comment on their service without the GRO reference.

All the best,

Malcolm webb
    Lincoln UK

Thanks everyone for your responses , looks like the GRO are my best bet .
    I have found a reference to a Leah Boyne in the Prestwich workhouse in the 1901 census from the age it looks like the same person I am researching. Does anyone have access to the admission records ?,,, Strangely in the 1911 census it looks like she is an inmate in an institution in Blackburn and there is a death record a few years later also in Blackburn ?? Once again the age fits with what I know so this has to be the same person.