MikeThorpe

Smile General advice needed

I've been researching my English roots for some time, but now I've strayed into Irish territory I'm confused!

My great-great-great grandparents were William Montgomery and Eliza Magee. I have obtained their marriage certificate - they married in Downpatrick parish church in 1867, Down.

I'm now keen to trace records of their births, since the certificate only says "full age" and gives their fathers.

Am I correct in understanding that Downpatrick parish church is likely to be the church of Eliza and her family? I believe William was born in another parish and it was tradition to marry in the woman's parish.

How can I search the parish records for Eliza's birth? I looked at a table of Down parishes and it says Downpatrick's records are in "local custody". Any other advice would be appreciated.

-Mike

kevinmcgivern

Mike,

I stumbled across your old post. So apologies if you are all sorted.

For what it is worth, yes typically the wedding would be in the bride`s home church.

You can probably get everything you need by searching at the Ulster Historical Foundation website. It will cost you a few quid but cheaper and more convenient than the alternatives (visiting he Church or the General Registry Office in Belfast, or even having someone find and send them to you in the UK)

I am curious about the marriage. Which church was it, Catholic or Church of Ireland. If Catholic, I`d be very interested in finding out more details (dates, fathers names, sponsors etc)

Hope you are still picking this up.

Good luck

Kevin M