Del 80

Default McDowell Family Co. Down

Hi, Anyone have any info. on the McDowall / McDowell family of Co. Down ?, Samuel Clarke m. Susanna McDowell, at Kilmegan in 1896, her father was Hugh McDowell, I think b. 1860, he married Anne Smyth. Any information would be appreciated, Regards Del.

Knowledgeable and helpful

There’s a marriage for Hugh McDowell to Anne Smith registered in Downpatrick 1860, Volume 4, page 750. If you get a copy of the marriage cert, it should give you his father’s name and his townland.

There is a Hugh McDowell in Murlough Lower townland, Kilmegan parish, in Griffiths Valuation for 1863, where he was renting a house, offices (outbuildings) and 7 acres of land. (Plot 7 which today is alongside the modern A2 road near the National Trust’s Murlough reserve). He died 18th July 1889. According to the death cert index, he was born in 1814. Here’s a summary of his will:

The Will of Hugh M'Dowell late of Murlough County Down Farmer who died 18 July 1889 at same place was proved at Belfast by Ann M'Dowell of Murlough Widow the sole Executrix. Effects £45. You can see the will itself on the PRONI website. (He left everything to wife Ann).

Is this your Ann McDowell & relatives in 1911:

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i..._Lower/236291/

The only thing that bothers me is that the 1860 marriage must have been protestant (RC marriages weren’t registered till 1864) whereas the Ann McDowell in the 1911 census was RC.

Del 80

Hi Elwyn, I think Anne McDowell m/s Smith, was in Ardrossan Ayrshire in 1901, she appears on the census as a widow with her daughter Susanna Clarke m/s McDowell, also there is grandson Hugh Joseph Clarke, but no sign of Susanna's husband Samuel Clarke, did he die in Ireland I wonder? [ Susanna is'nt given as a widow] or perhaps as someone suggested was he in the army or navy?thanks for your reply Regards Del.

Famous for offering help & advice

was Hugh Joseph born in Scotland? (I can see one b 1900 in Ardrossan) His birth certificate should give his father's occupation.

Del 80

On the 1901 census of Scotland, Hugh Joseph Clarke is given as aged 1 year and born at Ardrossan, his mother, grandmother and other occupants of the house are all given as born in Ireland, including Samuel A Clarke aged 3 years who we have no knowledge of at all, he is given as grandson of the head of the house [Anne McDowell] so must have been Hugh Joseph's elder brother,but we have never heard any mention of him in the family, perhaps another line to trace...... Regards Del.

Del 80

That could be them on the 1911 Elwyn, allthough the ages are slightly out, perhaps they were just visiting Scotland in 1901 and had returned to Co. Down leaving Susanna and the others in Scotland, I think a look at S.P. is my next move. Regards Del.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi again Del

The death index on SP has a death in Ardrossan of a Samuel Allan Clarke b1898 in 1978, mother's maiden name McDowell, who could well be yours.

Family search also has a birth of a Samuel Allan Clarke 1897 Downpatrick.

Del 80

Hi Grisel, Yes just seen that on SP, I think this must be the Samuel A, that no-one knows about.