Colin Rowledge

Default When a family tree becomes cumbersome

My trees, one public and one private, are approaching 2000 people on each.

My public one is a work in progress to which others who have assisted me [distant family members] are invited. My private one is where information has been proven and sourced. To this tree - the private one - I have limited access to close family members.

Currently, of course, I am the 'home person'.
    Then there's my mum and dad
    Then there is their parents, etc.

A recent comment made by one of my close contacts has indicated that this private tree is 'messy'.

I was thinking about a way of seperating it out once we get back beyond my grand parents, named Rowledge/Fanning on my dad's side and Ball/Golley on my mum's and doing 4 trees.

Is this a good idea or is there another alternative?

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I have two trees as well. 1 public, 1 private.

If someone doesn't understand my layout, that's tough. I can navigate quite nicely thank you, and I won't change to suit anyone else.

As long as you're happy, take no notice of anyone else.

Steve.

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by stepives View Post
    I have two trees as well. 1 public, 1 private.

If someone doesn't understand my layout, that's tough. I can navigate quite nicely thank you, and I won't change to suit anyone else.

As long as you're happy, take no notice of anyone else.

Steve.
    I agree!

strawberrymivvy

Hi Colin

What other people think of the layout of your tree is irrelevant. I personally would not want to have 2 separate trees as my ancestors on both sides come from the same part of the country (OK, not really surprising!) and as a result I have them related in several places prior to my own parents' marriage. I would find it almost impossible to work out relationships if the maternal/paternal lines weren't on the same tree

Knowledgeable and helpful

All I can say is it's a good job they have not seen my village tree which details ancestors of an entire village, not just one family!
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

exiled brummie

Surely, if a tree is "messy" that's down to what our ancestors got up to, and nothing to do with our lack of competence.

Navigating parts of my tree is really difficult, but only because of cousins, 1st and 2nd, marrying, after which their offspring repeat the mixing process. Also have 2 relatives dying within months of each other, after which their respective partners married each other.

Two of my relatives both have dual relationships to each other, and me.

Your tree is what your ancestors made it, be proud if you have managed to unravel tangled lines.

JenniLl

Then there are the folk who had multiple marriages - in my tree, one of my great Grandmothers and two of my great Grandfathers. OK so some parties are not related to me but it gives a fuller picture of the persons life (that's my excuse anyway!)

Jenni