Ettie

Default Access to Prisoners Ages in Adelaide S.A. 19

Is there any way I can obtain the age of a prisoner in Adelaide in 1935 please. This would enable me to ascertain whether the man I seek bearing the correct name is the one I seek

Hugh Thompson

Hi Ettie, also you could check the newspapers for his arrest and court case as they usually have their ages mentioned.
    Hugh.

judyg

Hi Ettie,

I have all the South Australian Police Gazettes from 1862 - 1947. If you can supply his name I will see what I can find.

Cheers
    Judyg

Ettie

Harold Victor Sparks born 1893 Bristol England. Newspaper report The Advertiser delaide 6 December 1935 to be imprisoned for 5 months no age given.

Coromandel

Hello Ettie

The Adelaide Advertiser of 8 August 1935 says that Harold Victor Sparkes (manufacturing chemist, of Sydenham Road, Norwood) was 42 years old. This perhaps is his own description of himself: some of the other newspaper reports of 1935 call him a 'salesman, of no fixed abode'. Not quite the same!

In 1941 a 47 year old Harold Victor Sparkes pleaded guilty to stealing a tweed overcoat belonging to James Bates of Emerald; this is reported in the the Morning Bulletin (published in Rockhampton, Queensland) of 2 September 1941.

Coromandel

This looks like him again! The Sydney Morning Herald of 22 February 1930 reports that Harold Victor Sparkes, 36, salesman, who had been charged with 'having fraudulently embezzled £1/7/6 from the Burgin Electric Company Limited, by whom he was employed', was acquitted.

and again in the Melbourne Argus, 6 February 1935 . . . this time acquitted of stealing a ring. Here he is described as a 39 year old inventor, 'formerly of Irwell Street St Kilda and recently of Sydney (NSW)'. He conducted his own defence.

Coromandel

An index to the South Australian Police Gazette, 1936, has this entry:

Sparkes, Harold Victor, alias Arthur Grayson, alias T. Bryon, alias Robert Waring, discharged, 130; suspected of larceny on Dorothea Louise Howard, 291.

The above is taken from p.62 of this PDF file:

https://www.
    unlockthepast.com.au/sites/default/files/samples/AU5103-1936s.pdf

judyg

Hi Ettie,

If you can give me a few hours I will PM you with a lot of details on him including his mug shots. I have to go out for most of the day but will get on to it asap

Cheers
    Judyg