Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Chemist Apprentice - 1911.

I have a chap with a most unusual set of given names who was at the time of the 1911 census a Chemist Apprentice. He was aged 15 and lived in Bodmin.

Somehow, I think this is wrong as today, Chemists need University qualifications. Could he have just been an Assistant in a Chemist's shop and when his dad completed the census, somewhat exaggerated his son's standing?

In 1916 in Wandswoth, London a chap with the same set of names marries a Mabel L. Wilkins. Maybe, he was now truly a Chemist's Apprentice in London. Would there be any records of such an occupation?

No trace of him that I can find after his marriage so what happened to him?

His full name was Egbert Herman Solomon.

Thanks
    Colin

Brick wall demolition expert!

He was born in Bodmin 1895

Name: SOLOMON, Egbert Herman
    Registration District: Bodmin
    County: Cornwall
    Year of Registration: 1895
    Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
    Volume No: 5C
    Page No: 69

He died in 1944 - a Chemist ..

Forename: Egbert Herman
    Surname: Solomon
    Day Buried: 9
    Month Buried: Apr
    Year Buried: 1941
    Church Name: Henley Road (Caversham)
    Place Name: Reading
    County: Berkshire
    Address: Basingstoke, 33 Church St
    Address County:
    Other Details: Died 4 apr

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Could he have just been an Assistant in a Chemist's shop and when his dad completed the census, somewhat exaggerated his son's standing?
    Hello Colin,

Chemist apprentice could well be correct. The Apothecaries Act of 1815 introduced compulsory apprenticeship and formal qualifications for apothecaries under the license of the Society of Apothecaries. It was the beginning of regulation of the medical profession in the UK.

Have a look at the history pages of the Royal Pharmeceutical Society, which I have found to be fascinating:
    https://www.
    rpharms.com/about-pharmacy/history-of-pharmacy.asp

Reputation beyond repute

"Chemist" does not necessarily imply "pharmacist". One of my ancestors was a Chemist at Woolwich Arsenal - working on explosives with a bigger bang!

Colin Rowledge

Thank you all

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    He died in 1944 - a Chemist ..

Forename: Egbert Herman
    Surname: Solomon
    Day Buried: 9
    Month Buried: Apr
    Year Buried: 1941
    Place Name: Reading
    County: Berkshire
    Address: Basingstoke, 33 Church St
    Address County:
    Other Details: Died 4 apr
    Hi Megan
    The reason I couldn't find him on FMP was quite simple - I didn't 'tick' the surname box for alternates - he is transcribed as SOLOMAN!!

His date [year] of death is 1941.

I do have a question though - his death is recorded in the County of residence which is Hampshire [Basingstoke] but his place of burial was in Berkshire [Reading].

I can't find a reason for the 'distant' [relatively speaking and with a war on] why he was buried there. Can anyone suggest a reason?

I don't think they had children after their marriage in Wandsworth, however Mabel nee Wilkins might have had connections there.

Colin

Nicolina

just because you die somewhere doesn't meaan that's where you have to be buried. There could be any number of reaons and possibly you'll never find the answer. One thing you could check is whether there was a family plot in Caversham or a family connection.
    When my father died we had his body transported so that his funeral service could be held in the church where he was christened and married. Personally I want to be buried at sea.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Colin

I may be wrong, but I believe that deaths are recorded where they happen irrespective of residence. If I am correct that would suggest that there was some other personal reason for being buried in Reading.

If you were to get his death certificate this might give you a clue.

My belief is based on the fact that my mother died in hospital in London but lived in North Wales and her death certificate was issued in London.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    I do have a question though - his death is recorded in the County of residence which is Hampshire [Basingstoke] but his place of burial was in Berkshire [Reading].

I can't find a reason for the 'distant' [relatively speaking and with a war on] why he was buried there. Can anyone suggest a reason?
    Might he have had a strong desire to be cremated rather than buried? From living in the area between Reading and Basingstoke around 1990, I remember that the nearest crematoria then were in Aldershot and Caversham (Reading), the latter being part of the original Caversham Cemetery. I'm not sure if the record already quoted would cast any light on that: does it specifically refer anywhere to burial or cremation?

Arthur

Reputation beyond repute

It says "Church Name" but isn't this the Henley Road Cemetery (municipal)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast