adarglas

Default Park St. burials Pem. Dock

Helo all
    I am seeking any info on burials of any Codds at Park St. In particular John Codd blacksmith father of David Codd (born about 1815; place varies on the censuses) who married Ann Richards in 1841 in Parish church St Marys Pembroke. The aim of my research at the moment is to find John's wife. IGI gives John Codd as married to Mary Howell & son David but I have yet to find evidence - no parish record & lack of nonconformist records

Orielbenfro

Dear Sir
    Forgive in advance any duplication of/or any information you already have in your research.
    The easy bit, from my transcription of the headstones of Park St there are no burials to the surname Codd known at Park Street Cemetery.
    From my transcription of all the Parish registers for Bapt Mrge and Burial 1711 to the 1950’s for Pembroke St Mary and Pembroke St Michael, besides the entry for the mrge of David, which I presume you have the certificate for, so will not repeat details here, I can find only one other reference to the surname Codd in the two parishes around the time of your interest and that is ;
    Pembroke St Michael Burial Register 1813 to 1845
    Charles Codd of the workhouse buried 19 Dec 1843 aged 02 weeks by Will Lloyd.

I have literally fought my through the bracken bushes and trees of Pembroke ST Michael churchyard and recorded the headstones there, alas Charles if he was buried there his headstone does not survive.

I rather suspect that the Codd family of your interest may have more connection with the village of Rhoscrowther, where I note the death of one John Codd (among a number of other Codd’s) in 1828. Alas John did not leave a will, however there are a number of other Codd’s in the Castlemartin hundred that did leave wills and are worth viewing at ;
    https://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/ch...=profeb&lng=en

I also note the following from Rhoscrowther mrges
    John Codd a labourer mrd Elizabeth Jones at Rhoscrowther 20 Apr 1816
    John Codd a widower mrd Ann James a widow of St Florence at Rhoscrowther 05 May 1822
    John Codd a labouer of Rhoscrowther mrd Margaret Jones at Castlemartin 26 Nov 1825.
    I have been unable to establish the death of an Elizabeth Codd in Rhoscrowther between 1816 and 1822.

For your future interest I note in my transcription of the mrge register of Pembroke St Mary for the period 1832 to 1837 the following
    07 Jan 1834 John Codd of Carew a bach mrd Elizabeth Pykes otp a spinster by licence in front of James Dalton. Both signed their names in the presence of Jane Hodge and Jaems Stevens.

The Codd surname can also be found in the Narberth Hundred in the parishes of Carew and Lawrenny, alas David does not appear to be baptised in either around the time of your interest.

Again for your future interest from my database of Burgess of Pembroke Borough 1678 to 2008 I note that
    David Codd a Weaver was made burgess 23 Dec 1765 Admin Book 3 Page 140 Minute Book page 09 (note neither document contains anymore than here shown)
    In my separately researched area of the same database I note the following ;
    The following were registered each year as burgess of Pembroke Borough ;
    John Codd 1678 only
    Daniel Codd a Glover 1687 ~ 1711
    Johnes Codd a Glover 1687 ~ 1711
    David Codd 1704 only
    John Codd 1705 – 1709
    William Codd a Blacksmith 1711 ~ 1737 (Dead)
    Gulielus a Blacksmith 1713 only
    John Codd a Weaver 1713 (Mort)

From the lack of information supplied at the time it is difficult to correlate the different John’s however the above is based on my own research and my compilation of this database

I hope the above is of some interest to your research.

adarglas

Hi Orielbenfro
    I can't overemphasize my gratitude for the info there are no John Codds in Park Cemetery. You have saved me hours of fruitless searching combined with a wasted journey to the other end of the country.
    My original post left some info out as I did not wish to sound rambling & put in irrelevant facts.
    However I can say that I had not considered Rhoscrowther as a search area for David & John's family. I will of course take it into account from now on.
    My thoughts on the family coming to P. Dock have always been centered, so far, to the north of the county. The census returns for David Codd ( b. 1815 approx father John Codd blacksmith) show the following:- 1841 resident in digs P.Dock: (Married in P.Dock 1841 later in the year) 1851 resident Sardis birth place Steyton: 1871 resident P. Dock birth place Rosemarket: 1881 resident P.Dock birth place P.Dock. David is buried in Llanion together with his wife & one of their daughters. One of their sons is also buried there in a separate grave.

John Codd, David's father is a puzzle. Davids DOB 1815c gives a clue to his fathers approx age. However a search of BMD has not shown anything of note, suggesting it is possible John died pre 1837.

It is possible David's father is the John Codd referred to by Richard Rose (book- Pembroke People) this John Codd started work in the dockyard in 1811 aged 29 & was a blacksmith.

The question now is of course Are there any other grave yards around P. Dock where John Codd could be hiding other than Park or Llanion (& are there any records which is improbable)?
    Diolch o galon/ Thanks ever so much Orielbenfro

Adarglas

Orielbenfro

Default Codd surname north of the Cleddeau

Now your evidence appears to show north of the Cleddeau, I can confirm there is no David baptised at Rosemarket or Steynton.
    The best I can come up with is David Codd baptised at Nolton in 1813. Familyhistory website adds info of 18 Jul 1813 to David & Sarah Codd of Nolton.
    A John Codd mrd at Nolton in 1799 to Mary Howell.
    Park St Cemetery begun in 1812 was the only cemetery in existence at the time of your interest. Pembroke Dock St John began services circa 1844 and has no churchyard, neither do any of the non-conformist chapels in the area. Park St declined very quick circa 1868, although if you had a family plot you could still be buried there, a practise that extended to approx 1910.
    Following the Act of Parliment to close all inner town churchyards due to health and safety, Llanion cemetery was begun in 1868 and the 1st burial was in 1872, the memorial still stands at the entrance to the cemetery. Pembroke St Mary was the church for the Dock upto circa 1844 although much went on there well after this date with workers living in Pembroke Town. St Mary churchyard is only a few percent of its former self, with most under the Co-Op supermarket and the road by the mill pond.
    Sorry to mislead you whilst there are a good number of Codd's at Rhoscrowther, I have had a look at the R.O. index's and David was not baptised there, although a John Codd was buried there in 1828. A John Codd was also buried at Nolton 1823 and 1834.
    It is just possible that your John and David where non-conformist and that their baptism & burial was in Chapel. Pre Sept 1837 all mrge by law had to take place in the established church, this did not apply to bapt & burial.
    Do you know of any siblings to David and have you found any John Codd's in the 1841 census (beside's Richards book) that might fit.