Tamara

Default Marriage Certificate 1916

Hello

I am trying to break down the most mysterious ancestor I have yet to come across in my research. I believe I am working with a case of switched identities (both parties involved). I am ever so slowly trying to put the pieces together. I have ordered about 20 marriage certificates over the last few years and am familiar with them, but the one I just recently received has me a little confused. The entire certificate is written in the same handwriting and I have never come across this before. Even though I know both of my great grandparents could read and write, they did not sign the certificate. From other documentation I have found, I also know that the 2 witnesses (who were the caretakers of the register office at the time) could also read and write yet they did not sign the certificate either.

They were married by license as my great grandfather was a Canadian soldier but wouldn't they still have to sign the certificate or at least put some kind of mark on it?

Thank you for any light you can shed on this.

Tamara

Reputation beyond repute

they did not sign the certificate.
    If you mean that the relevant space on the certificate is blank, this would indeed be unusual. If it was not blank then they either signed or made their mark. In the latter case, the certificate will indicate "the mark of...".

Tamara

I did think of that but other certificates I have received have been signed by both parties. So this one must just be what you have described. Thank you very much for answering my question. I thought I may have been on to something, but I guess not. Back to square one!

Thank you again!