grahamwilk

Default marrige certificate 1848

I sent off for my gr gr gr grandparents marriage certificate and it has alot of information missing! neither fathers names are present, but I guess they might not be known. The parish church where the marriage took place is also left blank! both ages are given as "full age" I assume this means old enough to marry. A contact of mine who is very experienced in family research says it is the strangest certificate he has seen!
    Any thoughts are welcome

Thanks Graham.

exiled brummie

The omission of information seems to have been not uncommon. The usual assumption is they were illegitimate, but this is not always the case.

Do you by any chance know the names of your relatives' siblings? If so a marriage certificate for one of them could give you a father's name and occupation. This certainly worked for me. My g g g grandmother's marriage certificate did not give her father's name, but luckily it was stated on her (much) older brother's.

It might also be possible with some searching to find their baptismal records. Again, I struck lucky here as the information there confirmed the details on the brother's certificate.

Best of luck.