obscuredavid

Default Newbie from Hull

Hi all,
    I've just started out tracing my family history. I'm amazed (and a little overwhelmed) at the resources available. After just a few days, I have the names of the parents of my great great grandfather Thomas Stote Ainley, who was born in 1870.
    Looking forward to finding out lots more.
    David

Jane Elderfield

David, hello and welcome!

People on this forum are happy to help beginners. In fact, you'll find spots on the sub-forum lists just for new researchers.

In case nobody's mentioned it yet, start with YOU, and go from known facts about yourself to your parents' facts, and so on back. And (voice of sad experience here) remember to take note of HOW YOU FOUND IT OUT!

Sources (where to find the info you need) is sometimes the biggest challenge. Members here are very kind, and will help you to find those sources.

I hope you won't feel too overwhelmed by our jargon at first. (Feel free to ask what the heck something means! Someone else wants to know, too.) Soon you'll catch on to family historians' abbreviations and acronyms, and start tossing them off yourself.

Once you've perused the list of sub-forums, you'll find the right place to post your first burning question. (Or if not, a moderator will help you by moving your message.) Put some key points in the message title, tell us what you've learned so far, and you'll find people very willing to point you in the right direction to find out more.

And--WARNING!--this hobby is addictive. Just when you find out who-dun-it, there are another two ancestors to find!

Good luck in your hunting--

Jane E

glynisaddy

hi david
    a warm welcome to the brit-gen forum
    glynis