Thread: Cromwell/ Weeks

Bowkerfan

Default Cromwell/ Weeks

Hello,
    I am looking for information on a Giles Cromwell and Alice Weekes. They were married in Eling in 1629/30. They pitched up in the Massachusetts Bay Colony sometime before 1645. A search of Ancestry.com has hundreds of trees listing the parents of Giles Cromwell as......Sir Oliver Cromwell, Uncle of the Oliver Cromwell. Well I know this is a bunch of malarky, so I was hoping to find some more of the family in or near Eling. Any thoughts?
    Jeanie

Coromandel

There seems to be good evidence that Sir Oliver Cromwell's son Giles died in the Hague.

From Access to Archives (A2A):
    Sir Oliver Cromwell of Ramsey did have a son Giles, mentioned in document ref. DDX171/72 (4 Sept. 1633) at Bedfordshire & Luton Archives. This also mentions Sir Oliver's son and heir Henry Cromwell Esq. and a (by then deceased) daughter Mary and her husband Edward Rolt.

There is a will for a Giles Cromwell dated 7 March 1633/34. It is written in Dutch. There's an abstract (in English) on the A2A site. Among others he mentions his sister Mary (wife of Edward Rolt) and the 'ladies and gentlewomen of Queen of Bohemia and gentlemen (his comrades)'. A copy of the will is held at Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies, ref. DE/AS/4600. See also ref. DE/AS/4601 for a codicil dated 2 May 1634. Unfortunately neither of these catalogue entries mentions anything about a probate date, so we don't know when this Giles died.

A seventeenth century manuscript about the Hooftman family (into which Sir Oliver had married, I think) has these notes:

'Afterwards, anno 1632, I have made the acquaintance at the Hague of the son of Crommuel, our cousin, a young man of about 21 years old, and page (at the court) of the Queen of Bohemia, residing (then) at the Hague; he is named Giles Crommuel.
    He died afterwards, anno 16-- (sic), at the Hague, and was buried in the Great Church, as his shield of arms proves, which is hung up there.'

This is from

https://www.
    ebooksread.com/authors-eng/francis-bazley-lee/notes-and-queries-volume-yr1871-pt2-dno/page-100-notes-and-queries-volume-yr1871-pt2-dno.shtml

It doesn't help with your Giles though.

Bowkerfan

thank You Coromandel, I do have that information, your reply confirms how easy it is to do a little research to dispel the myth. Giles, son of Sir Oliver died in service to the daughter of James I, She was married to the Elector Frederick of Palatine. He, Giles, is supposedly buried at the Great Church at The Hague. I just wish I had a little info on the my Giles to add to it. It just drives me mad to see all this misleading, incorrect information being passed off as truth, Ancestry.com is a mixed blessing.
    Many Thanks, Jeanie