Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Happyfeet

Default Nehemiah Clarke`s children

Need help trying to find out what happened to the children of Nehemiah Clarke after emigrating to the USA in 1873.
    Nehemiah Clarke b1832 in Ely, Cambridgeshire and his wife Betsy b1837, set up home in Walworth, Wisconsin with their seven children.
    Found the death of Nehemiah in 1904 in Walworth, Wisconsin. Could`nt find where Betsy died.
    Children:
    Hannah b1856
    Sarah b1861
    George b1863
    Frederick b1866
    Nehemiah b1868
    Emily b1870
    Albert b1872

Coromandel

On the Walworth County Genealogical Society website there's a surname interests list, which includes contact details for someone researching the Clark(e) family 1873 to date. I know Clark(e) is a common name, but I was struck by the fact that their interest begins the same year your Clarkes emigrated.

Edit: forgot to put in the website address

https://
    walworthcgs.com/surnames.html

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi,

I see from a thread on another forum that it was suggested that son Nehemiah may have used the name Myron. Have you discounted this alternative name for him?

www.
    familytreeforum.com/showthread.php/88908-The-Family-of-Nehemiah-Clarke

Looking at the marriage details on Family Search...

groom's name: Myron Clark
    bride's name: M. Matilda Gow
    marriage date: 01 Jan 1895
    marriage place: Walworth, Wisconsin
    groom's father's name: Nehimiah Clark
    groom's mother's name: Betsy Clark
    bride's father's name: Charlie Gow
    bride's mother's name: Gow

I suspect from looking at the census that Matilda's maiden name may be GOLL rather GOW. The census...

Lafayette, Walworth, Wisconsin
    Myron Clark, head, 37, born England, birthplace of parents England,
    Matilda Clark, wife, 26, born Germany, birthplace of parents Germany
    Viola Clark, dau, 2, born Wisconsin
    Freda Goll, servant, 62, widow, born Germany

They are in the later census as well as the previous 1900 census. For a scan of the 1900, see here. In this case, Fredricha Gall is recorded as the mother-in-law. Although the birth date of Myron Clark is April 1870, the year of immigration is recorded as 1874, which is close.

There is also this birth record for a child of Myron and Matilda

name: Sylvia Viola Clark
    birth date: 15 Jan 1903
    birthplace: Sugar Creek, Walworth, Wisconsin
    father's name: Myron Clark
    father's birthplace: Cambridgishire, England
    mother's name: Matilda Goll
    mother's birthplace: Germany
    (Family Search)

Quote Originally Posted by Happyfeet View Post
    Frederick b1866
    There is also this potential marriage for Frederick...

groom's name: Fred Clark
    bride's name: Nettie Wheelock
    marriage date: 21 Dec 1898
    groom's father's name: Nehemiah Clark
    groom's mother's name: Betsey Sternman
    bride's father's name: Edgar Wheelock
    bride's mother's name: Baker

The maiden of Fred's mother is close to Sturman. However, looking at Fred and Nettie in the US census, although Fred's birth place is always stated as England, his age/birth date vaires but tends to hover around 1869/1870, which is a bit out from 1866. The immigration year also changes from 1876 to 1877 to 1880.

Anyway, have you discounted this Fred and Nettie? For the census on Family Search...

1900 (image)
    1920 Mother Mary Wheeler is staying

Emily b1870
    A possible marriage for Emily

groom's name: Wm. Thompson
    bride's name: Emily Clarke
    marriage date: 05 Feb 1891
    groom's father's name: John Thompson
    groom's mother's name: Annie Fanning
    bride's father's name: Nehemiah Clarke
    bride's mother's name: Stergun

It is conceivable that the mother's maiden name could have been garbled from STURMAN to STERGAN. Perhaps this is Emily in the 1900 census with her husband and children, born Jun 1870 in England, immigration year 1874. See here on Family Search for the image. I'm not sure where this family went to after 1900. Further searching is required.

There are a couple of other marriages where the mother's maiden name is STURMAN but the names are not in your list of children. Could they be children born to Nehemiah and Betsey after 1880 or alternatively perhaps they were not in the household when the census was taken? These are the two marriages I am wondering about...

Edith Ester Clark
    marriage: 04 Dec 1895, Walworth, Wisconsin
    parents: Nehemiah Clark, Sturman
    spouse: Henry Wennel Adair

Jennie May Clark
    marriage: 27 Oct 1897, Walworth, Wisconsin
    spouse: Elmer Johnnie Landgraf

It could be a coincidence but I thought I would point them out in any case.

Aha! Is this Nehemiah and his family in the 1880 US census (with two extra younger children)?

1880:
    Troy, Walworth, Wisconsin
    Myron 49, head
    Elizabeth 45, wife
    George 17, son
    Fred 15, son
    Nehemiah 13, son
    Emma 10, dau
    Albert 8, son
    Ada 5, dau
    Clark, dau, 7mo

(All born England except the two youngest children who were born in Wisconsin.)

From this, I would be rather more confident with the son Nehemiah also calling himself Myron later on.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    There are a couple of other marriages where the mother's maiden name is STURMAN but the names are not in your list of children. Could they be children born to Nehemiah and Betsey after 1880 or alternatively perhaps they were not in the household when the census was taken? These are the two marriages I am wondering about...

Edith Ester Clark
    marriage: 04 Dec 1895, Walworth, Wisconsin
    spouse: Henry Wennel Adair

Jennie May Clark
    marriage: 27 Oct 1897, Walworth, Wisconsin
    spouse: Elmer Johnnie Landgraf
    Edith Adair is shown as 30 years old on the 1905 Wisconsin census (on FamilySearch), born Wisconsin but with both parents born in England. She and her husband Henry were in Waukesha town, Waukesha, Wisconsin with children Doris (8), Bessie (6), Raymond (3) and Ethel (1).

Elmer & Jennie are transcribed as LAUDGRAF on the same census, by which time they have daughters Lillie B. (7) ad Lela M. (1). Jennie is shown as aged 26 and born in Wisconsin (but both her parents born in England).

So we have Edith born about 1875 Wisconsin and Jennie born about 1879 Wisconsin. So perhaps Edith is the 5 year old 'Ada' on the 1880 census, and Jennie the 7 month old baby?

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Elmer & Jennie are transcribed as LAUDGRAF on the same census, by which time they have daughters Lillie B. (7) ad Lela M. (1). Jennie is shown as aged 26 and born in Wisconsin (but both her parents born in England).
    Yes, I saw the census For Edith and Jennie.

Also, here is Lilly's birth..

name: Lilly May Landgraff
    birth date: 05 Aug 1898
    birthplace: East Troy, Walworth, Wisconsin
    father's name: Elmer Landgraff
    father's birthplace: Wi
    mother's name: Jenny Clark
    mother's birthplace: Wi
    (Family Search)

Again, Jenny/Jennie is shown as born in Wisconsin, so she could be the baby in the 1880 census.

I was also looking at the other forum thread and it appears that six children travelled to the US with the parents in 1873. Unless I'm counting wrong, shouldn't there be seven? I.e. Hannah, Sarah, George, Frederick, Nehemiah, Emily, Albert. The names aren't provided for us in the post sadly. Perhaps Happy Feet can clarify this.

www.
    familytreeforum.com/showthread.php/85516-Emigration-details-of-Nehemiah-Clarke

Edit: I just checked the 1900 census for Nehemiah and Betsey Clark and in the "mother to how many children" column it has the number 11. According to the next column, the number of children still living at that time was 10.

Hannah b1856
    Sarah b1861
    George b1863
    Albert b1872
    I'm clutching at straws with the other children. For example, I can see a George CLARK in the 1900 census, living in Troy township. He is married to a Maggie and they have three children. You can view the image here. He was born 1861 in England and his immigration year is recorded as 1873.

One of his children - Henry - was born in Dec 1891 and there is a possible birth record...

name: Clark
    birth date: 31 Dec 1891
    birthplace: East Troy, Walworth, Wisconsin
    father's name: George Clark
    father's birthplace: England
    mother's name: Maggie Long
    (Family Search)

From this we possibly have a maiden name for the Maggie in the census. However I can't find a marriage in 1887 (or later or earlier than this), and thus still can't tell if this is your George or not. So - rather unresolved with this George, but I've posted the details in case more can be found.

Hannah b1856
    Sarah b1861
    George b1863
    Albert b1872
    Still scraping the barrel, but I looked through the vital records index on the Wisconsin Historical Society site for any Sarah CLARK marriage around 1880 or so. On the 04 Jul 1879, a Sarah CLARK married either Orvitte O BUSH or George BEAR.

www.
    wisconsinhistory.org/vitalrecords/index.asp

In the census, there is George and Sarah BEAR with children living in the township of East Troy. You can view the image here. She was born Feb 1862 in England, married 21 years and her immigration year is recorded as 1863. Note that in the 1930 census the immigration year changes to 1873.

So I guess this could be her but without the marriage details it's just that - a guess.

For the later census on Family Search ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast