Martin Leach

Default 214Squadron WW2 No 3 Group Bomber Command

I have just started to research the fate of my great uncle Jack Ward who was shot down over Holland in April 1942. I have recently been contacted by an RAF researcher in Holland, following a visit to the War Cemetery in Eindhoven, who has provided some information regarding the crew but is keen to complete a full record. I am interested specifically in Jack Ward, but I also have details of the other crew members and, eventually, would like to trace relatives if at all possible. I am the first family member of the crew the researcher has been able to make contact with and would be interested to hear from any other crew member's families: Pilot LM Leech, 2nd Pilot HM Shortt, Wop/Ag P Heppenstall, Wop/Ag GMC Turner, Rear Gunner VE Egan

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Leach View Post
    I am interested specifically in Jack Ward, but I also have details of the other crew members and, eventually, would like to trace relatives if at all possible. I ....would be interested to hear from any other crew member's families: Pilot LM Leech, 2nd Pilot HM Shortt, Wop/Ag P Heppenstall, Wop/Ag GMC Turner, Rear Gunner VE Egan
    Slightly fuller details of the crew from
    https://www.
    214squadron.org.uk/Personnel_L.htm

Crew of Wellington (model unknown) Z8951 BU-X consisted of :

Sgt Vernon Ernest Egan, 1092735, Air Gunner, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Nationality : United Kingdom, KIA 16 April 1942

Sgt Percy Heppenstall, 998624, Wireless Operator / Air Gunner, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Nationality : United Kingdom, KIA 16 April 1942, Aged 22

Plt/Off Lawrence Malcolm Leech, J/5490, Pilot, Royal Canadian Air Force, Nationality : Canadian, KIA 16 April 1942

Plt/Off Harry Arthur Shortt, 100558, Co-pilot, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Nationality : United Kingdom, KIA 16 April 1942, Aged 25

Sgt Geoffrey Malcolm Charles Turner, 1251531, Wireless Operator / Air Gunner, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Nationality : United Kingdom, KIA 16 April 1942, Aged 21

Sgt Jack Ward, 1064100, Navigator / Observer, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Nationality : United Kingdom, KIA 16 April 1942

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you checked CWGC for the names of any relatives? Parents' or widows' names and addresses might provide a lead to other family members.

Martin Leach

Many thanks for your posting. We now have first names to work with which will help us progress our research.

Martin Leach

I have had a look at the CWGC site, but I can't see any way of finding relatives names through the site. Can you guide me at all?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Search CWGC for P. HEPPENSTALL (for example), click his name in the search results, and the full entry states

Son of William and Beatrice Minnie Heppenstall, of Doncaster, Yorkshire.

You could try searching the birth index for Percy HEPPENSTALL, and then for possible siblings with the same mother's maiden name (BEAN). I think there is a likely brother Norman (1922-1992).

I haven't tried any other names yet, as HEPPENSTALL seemed the most likely to produce a useful result.

Working your way through the BMD indexes would be one possible way of approaching it.

EDIT: Just a word of caution, to comply with forum rules we cannot post personal details of people who may still be living. These would have to be sent via the private messaging system.

Martin Leach

Many thanks, perhaps the middle of the night is not the best time to start searching, but I've started..........