Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    rogtut

I was at the British Library today and looked at The Royal Army Chaplains’ Department, 1796-1953: clergy under fire.

Unfortunately there was no mention of William Allen. Anybody have any knowledge of where I might find Guernsey records as it occurs to me that perhaps some of his children were born there?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The Priaulx Library in St Peter Port is the main place for original Guernsey records, so you might want to look at their site.
    https://
    priaulxlibrary.co.uk/index.asp

There's also the Guernsey Society and its wiki site Donkipedia
    www.
    guernsey-society.org.uk

There are a few secondary sources in the Society of Genealogists' library in London.
    www.
    sog.org.uk/prc/channelislands.shtml

Would you like this thread moved to the Channel Islands forum, in case someone there can help? We could move it back for you later, if required.

rogtut

Thanks for the info, Kerrywood and yes please move this thread to CI forum.

Roger

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Moved for you.

malcolm99

In 1820/21 William Allen was chaplain with the 93rd Regiment of Foot. His “Rank in the Army” is given as 30 June 1795.
    See page 596 of War Office, “A List of the Officers of the Army and Royal Marines on full and half-pay....1821”

https://
    tinyurl.com/879583o

Coromandel

That's a really interesting book, malcolm99; well done for finding it.

This must be the same William Allen whose appointment was announced in the London Gazette in 1795. As the page is headed 'ENGLISH HALF-PAY' I presume he has retired. Unfortunately there's no date in the column headed 'When placed on half pay'. The regiment he was in appears to have been disbanded in 1796 only a year after he'd joined it:

https://www.
    napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Infantry/Regiments/c_93rdFoot.html

So does that mean that he only served a year but was still getting paid 25 years later, albeit half pay?

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    The regiment he was in appears to have been disbanded in 1796 only a year after he'd joined it:
    Ah... I rather thought it was this lot whom Wemyss raised again after the 1799 abandonment (Wemyss was still the Lt-Col in 1821):

https://en.
    wikipedia.org/wiki/93rd_%28Sutherland_Highlanders%29_Regiment_of_Foot .

I had a look through The Historical Records of the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders this but couldn’t see Allen mentioned, but on page 53 it shows that in 1820/21 the regiment was in southern Ireland .
    https://www.
    archive.org/stream/historicalrecor00unkngoog#page/n11/mode/2up

They were a very religious regiment apparently and interestingly, according to the “Early years” paragraph in the Wikipedia article they were sent from Scotland to Guernsey in 1800 although I haven’t seen any other mention of Guernsey.

P.S. When I called them 'this lot' I meant no disrespect as they are one of the most distinguished regiments there's ever been - the original "Thin Red Line" I believe...

Coromandel

That does make more sense, Malcolm.

I guess the Army List (on the open shelves at Kew) should reveal when William Allen moved from the full pay to the half pay list and so give some idea of how long he was serving. Then by tracking the movements of the regiment over that period you could get some idea of where he is likely to have been, and where his children might have been born.

Going back to the TNA leaflet I mentioned above somewhere, it has some useful background info about half-pay:

Officers were not entitled to a pension as of right until 1871. Before then, officers wishing to retire sold their commissions or went on half pay. Half pay became a retaining fee paid to the officer, so long as he held a commission and was still (in theory) available for future service. There is little genealogical information in these documents. Officers on half pay can be traced in the British Army Lists, which gives date of commencement of half pay: half-pay officers are not always indexed.

Information about retired officers and their widows can also be found in PMG 3 to PMG 14. The most useful records of half pay are the ledgers of payment, 1737-1921, in PMG 4. These give details of death or sale of commission; and, from 1837, addresses....

Hmm, I think you might need a few days up at Kew, rogtut!

rogtut

Default Rev'd William Allen

Malcolm

Just wanted to echo Coromandel's sentiment
    "That's a really interesting book, malcolm99; well done for finding it"

We're getting there!

Roger J Tutton

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by rogtut View Post
    We're getting there!

Roger J Tutton
    Hi Roger
    I'm glad someone is getting there - wherever there is!!

I'm still stuck in the 'back of beyond'

Colin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast