Starting to feel at home

Default Help with ages of men in early 1900s photo

I found this photo when I was clearing out my grandparents home a view years ago. I believe that it was taken in around 1902-1905. The photographers were the Terry Brothers of Crewe. Nothing at all is written on the back of the photo.

It is believed that the gentleman at the back with the longer face is my great grandfather Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956). It has been suggested that the gentleman in the centre back is my great grandfather Charles Jenkins (1844-1916) - but IF he is in the photo he would be in his late 50s/early 60s, but I am unsure if anybody on the photo looks that age?

Candidates for the photo include: Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956), Joseph Henry Jenkins (1884-1948), John Jenkins (1873-1942), William Jenkins (1881-1960), and Charles Jenkins (1879-1907) - all brothers. Two other candidates are the father Charles Jenkins (1844-1916) or another brother, Thomas Jenkins (born 1864). I have later photos (undated and unnamed) of two men who look like they could be the men on either side of the front row.

I would be grateful for any opinions or views regarding this photo and the men on it.

v.wells

My first impression is the left and right men in the front row are early 20's, middle man is late 20's, early 30's. Back row - the 2 outer fellows are late 30's, early 40's (from what my dad looked like) and the middle man could very well be in his 50's. And the photograph appears to be one from the late 19teens.

Coromandel

I would have thought that the chap in the middle at the back isn't old enough to be the father, so perhaps this is a photo of the six brothers?

Regarding the date, I have so far only found Terry Brothers in one directory: they are shown as photographers at 170 Edleston Road, Crewe, in the 1902 Kelly's Directory of Cheshire. They aren't in the Crewe section of the 1896 or 1914 directories.

v.wells

You could be very right Coromandel. The fellow back row middle and the one in the front row right have the same little thin spot on the right side of their heads. The 2 boys on either end of front row look to be brothers as does the fellow on the right rear row. So I think maybe you are right

Starting to feel at home

Many thanks for the replies. I've had a look through the family photos, and found these photos. I believe that the three men are in the photo (obviously when they were a lot younger)

This is my great grandfather - it has been suggested that he is the slim one at the back row right.

It is unknown who these are as there is no inscription on the photo. But it looks like a father and possibly son.

Unfortunately not the best quality photo, and again and unknown group. On the back is written "Best wishes for Xmas 1947." It has been suggested that he is on the front row left?

It is generally believed that the two unknown older men were my great grandfathers brothers, so if I'm right about the photo being a family shot then they should be in the photo.

Yeates

Have you found this most valuable site for dating photographs?
    https://www.rogerco.freeserve.co.uk/

Your wonderful group of brothers (for I believe them to be all of the same generation,) is interesting as it seems a mix of styles (look at the shirt collars and the ties—wardrobes suggesting different decades, I think. That has always puzzled me, for who throws away their wardrobes because a decade changes? It makes sense to me that there would be this variation in styles as the ages of the men vary.) Speaking of fashion, I have never seen a handkerchief pocket with a vertical slit as one young man has---must remember to look for this on sites dealing with fashion-by-decade. It would appear, based on samples I looked at, to be about 1912. As Charles died in 1907, maybe that is your answer. Could the brothers have assembled for his funeral?

The 1907 date would corroborate what Coromandel found for the photographer in the directories: i.e. present in the 1902; not in the 1896 or the 1914.

Also, it must predate WWI, don’t you think? Based on the date ranges of their lives, though, it seems your family was lucky to have most of its sons survive the war.

The square corners also suggest post-1900 (I guess the corners were rounded in the 1890s.) The plain back also suggests post-1900.
    Regards,
    Yeates

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The lower two of the 2nd lot of 3 photos appear to have both the same males in sans dog. Perhaps the top of 3 is the same man a fewyears older or even his Father.
    Lad with dog may be son or even his Grand son.
    Years & health changes make a difference.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.